The Maze

I can feel my body slowly waking up. My mind has been awake for hours but my eyes refused to open and my body stayed rigid. Slowly I regain control of my body and gently open my eyes. My eyes adjust to the light and I take in my surroundings. I'm in my small room that the boys made me. I was slightly startled by a person sitting in the chair beside me. I realise who it was. It was Gally but he was asleep! Did he stay with me the whole time? How sweet!! But now I wanted him to wake up. I say his name gently. I give up on the gentle approach and fling a spoon that was on the crate beside my bed directly at his head. He jumps up startled. I can't help but giggle at his reaction. "Cienna, you're awake", he said as his face lit up with glee. Huh, he's actually happy to see me! "I'll go get Nick", he says in a rushed manner. "No Gally, wait! I don't want to see him". "Oh", he says surprised. "Is he mad?", I ask. "Cienna of course he's shucking mad!", I giggle at the now vernacular of the glade. "Cienna, I'm serious you nearly got yourself killed and we were all worried sick." I start to feel anger surface. "Why can't I do something for once? What because I'm a girl I can't do a decent job?" "Cienna you know that's not what I meant! It's just no one goes out there" "well I do now! And no one can stop me!" I go to stand up but feel my feet buckle under me. Gally catches me and places me back on the bed. "Please just let me go get Nick!" "No please Gally, just stay with me", I say pleading. I grab his hand and make him sit down on the bed. I lay my head on his shoulder and feel tears spill from my eyes. I was crying really? He pulls me into a hug. I felt safe but I guess I have to face Nick sometime. "Okay, go get him", I say after a couple of minute in Gallys arms. He runs off. Oh how fun, I should have known it wasn't going to be that monster that killed me, it would be Nick.

I sat impatiently for about five minutes but it felt like an eternity. It's not like I could go anywhere. That's when I heard him. He was shouting at Gally for not coming straight away. He bursts through the door and just stares at me. It was extremely unsettling so of course I fill the silence. "Hey, it's not Gallys fault I asked him to stay." " That's all you have to say to me?", " I guess so, does that mean we are done here?" He looks angry, maybe I shouldn't have aggravated him. But no, I'm mad too. I stand up! I guess I can do that again. I walk towards him fuelled by anger. But he does not move and then he grabs my wrists and pushes me back towards the wall. What is going on? Ouch, he's really hurting me. "Nick stop!" I shout. He doesn't. "You think that you can just do what you want huh?"he says. What the hell is going on? "You think you can run into the maze and talk to any boy you want? No you're mine! I was here first, I own you." What the shuck. I am now filled with rage. But what can I do? He is stronger than me. I try to struggle but I can't. His grip is too firm. That's when Gally walks into the room. He glanced quickly between the two of us and quickly pulled Nick off of me. I collapse onto the floor. I hear Gally yelling but my mind isn't processing anything. I notice another voice now. It was Alby. He came running towards me and hugged me tightly. "Hey, everything will be just fine, don't worry." I start sobbing uncontrollably. This was not supposed to happen. Ever.

A few days passed and I only saw Alby and Gally. I didn't want to see anyone else. The boys took good care of me. Nick tried to come and see me but Alby wouldn't let him in. I slowly recover and decide I need to get out of this small hutt! I explain to Gally that I need to be alone. I climb to the top of the watch tower. That's when the alarm starts blaring. A greenie, the perfect distraction. I climb down and make my way to the box. Nick takes his place beside me which sends a shiver down my spine. When the box finally arrived Nick opened the wire doors but as he was about to jump in I pull back him arm. "This ones mine", I say. No one questions it. To be completely honest I don't know why I was so concerned about this green bean. Maybe I just needed a new friend.

I jump down into the box and glance at the greenie. He's already standing. He looks me up and down. A lot of confidence. I like him already! "I'm Cienna", I say. "I'd tell you my name but I don't remember a thing." I giggle at his response. "Don't worry, it happens to the best of us." I say laughing. "Do you wanna see your new home green bean?" He looked slightly worried so I took his hand as reassurance. We jump out of the box together. I can practically feel the anger radiating off Nick but I know he would never dare touch me with my boys around. I shout at the gladers to give the new boy some space. He glances up at me with a cheeky grin on his face. "Come on greenie, I'll show you around." He follows my lead and I do my normal tour. Showing him everything, explaining the different roles and leadership. I ask if he remembers his name. He thinks hard but after a couple minutes he looks up at me with a giant smile on his face. "Minho, my name is Minho." I hug him and I feel happy. I lead him over to our steadily growing wall of names. I hand him my knife and he begins carving in his name. I watch him with a smile plastered on my face. But then I look over to the gap in the maze and think of the monsters lurking in the shadows.