Twelve

Kael

After the meeting I had with my father- which was quite long- I needed to see Marisela. I knew I had to tell her everything.

The thing about a prophecy, you can't stop it. A war is coming and we have to be prepared. I have to let Marisela know how we are both very much involved in this.

I can't say I know exactly what our role in all of this is, but it worries me. So many questions are swirling in mind, and I don't have the answers to any of them.

I needed to speak with her, I needed to let her know what we are fully dealing with here. We are two different species, she of the sea and I of the land.

How is any of this even possible?

A few of the workers bow in respect of acknowledging their king. I watch as a few of the maids blush and whisper to one another when they realize where I am going.

When I finally reach her door, I lift my hand to knock, but quickly put my hand down.

What do I even say to her?

My wolf shifts in excitement, sensing our mate. And before I know it, my fingers softly knock on the cold hard wood door.

"Come in" she calls. As soon as I open the door, I see Marisela curled up in the chair on the balcony, her nose deep in a book.

Memories of the first day I found her come rushing to mind. As if sensing my presence, Marisela looks up from her book and is surprised to see me there.

Goddes, she's beautiful.

I watch as she stands up off the chair while I walk towards her. "Kael, I wasn't expecting you-" The moment I stand in front of her, I couldn't help but gently grab her face in my palms and bring her lips to mine catching her off guard. After a few seconds she responds. This kiss is gentle but possessive. It's short but sweet. When I finally let go of her lips, her eyes are still closed.

"What was that for?" She asks breathlessly as she opens her eyes looking at me.

"I needed it." I tell her, her brows furrow as she notices my stress. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you, I just- I couldn't help myself. Forgive me princess."

I could see the questions swirling around in her head, but she didn't ask anything. Instead she nods her head and takes a step back from me.

"We can't keep doing this Kael, you being so close to me like this," she points to the distance, "it really messes with my heart."

"Believe me, I understand," I sigh, "it's the mate bond pulling us together, neither of us can control it."

Fucking great, Kael.

"Yeah, so I've been told." She looks away a little annoyed.

I look away and sigh. I have to tell her.

"We need to talk about earlier Marisela."

"Now you want to talk," she snaps. I didn't expect her to react this way and neither did she. Quickly she composes herself, "sorry I didn't mean to snap. What do you have to say Kael." Her walks are back up again.

"Have you ever heard of a prophecy?" I ask her. Her brows furrow further in confusion for a few seconds before she looks as if remembering something.

"before I arrived, I overheard my parents speak of a prophecy, but I didn't hear much to understand what they were talking about.'' she tells me.

So she's heard of  a prophecy, just not what exactly.

"There is a prophecy that has been told over many years, but no one believed it to be true. That was, until today."

"I don't understand, what are you trying to say Kael?"

"Today when you told me who-what you are," I begin to say, "I was reminded of this prophecy. My father and I put everything together," I look at her, "the prophecy speaks of us." I begin to explain exactly what was discussed in the meeting earlier. When I am done, realisation finally dawns on her. She gets up quickly and begins pacing the floor.

"So what exactly does this mean?" She says frantically, "what do you and I have to do with it? I mean fine I get it, I'm half Siren and you're a Lycan, but what exactly do we have to do with any of it?" she continues to splutter. ''For gods sake Kael, I read about this so called prophecy in a children's book when I was young, this..'' she whispers to herself, ''this isn't real.''

"When is the next eclipse?" She asks.

"We are going to seek a Seer for that, hopefully they can help us." I tell her.

"A Seer? What is that?" She asks stopping in her tracks looking at me expectantly.

"A Seer is someone who sees into the future. However the only problem is that a Seer isn't easily found, they normally come to you when they want to be found. So we're gonna have to ask around, I don't even know where to begin." I tell her honestly. She walks over to the bed and sits down.

"We can't hide any more secrets from each other." I tell her. "We are mates Marisela. Things are going to be different now."

"If we are so destined to be together Kael, then why is there a damn prophecy that says otherwise!" She yells in frustration. But the words were already said and the guilt rushes to her face soon after.

"Kael I-"

"You are right princess, " I cut her off, feeling the sting and rejections of her words pierce through my heart.

"I promise to protect you, no matter what. You are my mate, and to my people, that is sacred. To me, you are my entire life, and I will do anything to protect the ones I care for. " I tell her, my voice growing distant with each word I say.

"Kael, I really didn't mean it like that I'm so-"

"I should probably get going." I tell her when I get up. Her face falls slightly. I can see the guilt swimming in her eyes, but her words were said and done.

"Goodnight princess." I turn my back to leave. Just as I am about to close the door behind me, I hear her quiet response.

"Goodnight Kael."

And I leave.