Part 2: High School

Bus doors are opening, young faces spilling out.Every imaginable form of footwear can be seen.Nervous fingers twirling a padlock combination and yanking on the stubborn lock. It doesn't open. The tops of a lot of boys' heads shrouded in cigarette smoke. A girl's head from the brow up as she furiously fusses with her tresses.Lips are painted animal pink.

In a large study hall class, a male teacher sits at the head of the class grading papers. Sam's in the second seat from the back. Randy's directly behind him, slumped down in her chair with an open book propped up in front of her. She yawns. Sam's hunched over taking the sex test that was assigned during his sex ed class.

One seat behind Sam in the next row of desks is a tall,handsome senior, Jake Ryan. He's an athlete and a class officer. The most significant male in the entire student body. He's bored with the study hall and is staring at Sam. Sam's appearing somewhere in his daydream.

Looking down at his test, Sam turns that paper over and continues.

               7. Have you ever done it?

His answer, "I don't think so." Swinging his legs back and forth underneath his desk.

               8. If you answered "I don't think so" would you ever if you could?

Sam thinks. It's a tough decision. He answers

"I guess so"

                9. With who? (Be honest. Your name's not on this so it's okay)

He's worried and nervous about answering the final question. He lowers his head and peeks under his arm at Jake.

Jake's gnawing his thumbnail, still staring at Sam.

He blanches as Jake catches him looking at him. Sam clumsily tries to make it appear as if he's just scratching his chin on his shoulder. He turns back to his test.

His hand's trembling as he slowly writes "JAKE RYAN"on question #9

His hand's trembling as he slowly writes "JAKE RYAN"on question #9. His hand glides down to the last question.

                10. Does whoever you named above know that you want to with him

Sam writes a very definite, "NO!" and underlines it.

He carefully folds the test into a tiny square, palms it and pretending to yawn, puts his arms behind his head and drops the folded note on Randy's desk.

Randy's sound asleep in her seat, head back, mouth open. She doesn't see the notes drop on her desk but Jake does.

The notes slides down Randy's sloped desk and falls off.

The notes falls on the floor and Jake's high-top comes down on top of the note as he stretches his leg to reach under Randy's desk and slides it away.

He reaches down and retrieves the note. He holds it in his palm and slips it in his pocket, keeping his eyes on Sam all the while.

 He holds it in his palm and slips it in his pocket, keeping his eyes on Sam all the while