Guilt

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Words: 1,656

__________

Devyn thought going home would make her feel better but she just feels...empty. Spencer, bless him, is at her side the entire time, doing his best to make sure she's comfortable. Making sure she has everything she needs.

But that on top of everything, only makes Devyn feels guilty. Spencer's taking so much time off work to be there with her, he's worrying, unable to relax properly. And he's getting less sleep than she is. The nightmares wake her up often and Spencer as a result. Devyn's not sure he goes back to sleep after she does. He's the only reason she's even able to get any sleep in the first place, and now she's depriving him of his.

It's not as hard as she'd thought it'd be to convince Spencer to lie down around noon for a nap. Devyn thinks it's because he's too tired to put up much of a fight anyway. And despite him only being in the other room, Devyn doesn't want to be alone so she asks Richard over for lunch.

"I swear, I thought you were annoying," Richard groans on the couch, shaking his head. Apparently, his stand-in partner while Devyn is on medical leave is a bit to...hyper, for his liking.

"You know you love me," Devyn jokes, her lips pulled up into a small smile.

Richard sighs and nods, face more serious than before. "Yeah."

Devyn nearly freezes, her eyes scanning his face. She knows Richard cares for her, it shows in all the things he does, how he acts. He's just never outright said it before. "Don't get sappy on me now." She tells him before clearing her throat and ducking her head.

"Never," Richard shakes his head and nudges her knee. "How're you holding up? Really."

"Some days are better than others," Devyn admits with a glance towards the closed bedroom door. "The dreams are the worst. Not just because...I'm keeping Spencer up. He's suffering just as much as I am."

"You guys talking about it?"

"Yeah," Devyn nods before releasing a sigh and adding. "Trying. But...we're okay."

"Good," Richard mumbles. Things like this can always go two ways. Bring couples together, or break them apart.

"Hey," Devyn starts again, shaking Richard from his thoughts. A small smile plays on her lips and he raises his eyebrows in question. "Don't worry about the new guy, I'll be back before you know it."

"Don't rush," He tells her. "You need time to heal, don't need you hurting yourself."

"I'm fine," Devyn shrugs but Richard only gives her that disbelieving look of his and she sighs. "I will be."

"Yeah and until then, you're not coming back to work." He points to her, making his words stern but Devyn only smiles. "Or doing anything."

"Are you grounding me?" Devyn gasps, a hand resting over her heart. "I don't think you can actually do that."

"Oh, I can, and I am."

"Pft, whatever." Waving him off, Devyn grabs the remote and turns the tv volume up before leaning her head against his shoulder. She lets out a long sigh, closing her eyes when Richard places his arm behind her. Only two people in the world can make her feel this safe, this comfortable. Spencer and Richard. And having both of them with her, despite one being asleep, doubles that feeling.

With a deep breath, Devyn slowly drifts into a peaceful sleep.

*******