F I F T Y T W O

I was leaning against the railing in front of the garden at the entrance to my small building. My hand was cold, exposed to the severe cold, but the cigarette smoke kept me warm inside.

I saw Jaap approaching in his car, got up from the rail and stubbed out my cigarette, hiding the stubbed butt in the trash next door.

I sank into the passenger seat and was greeted with a kiss. This interaction with him was becoming more and more familiar.

Jaap took the A27 to Utrecht and we got there in just under half an hour.

He stopped the car on a residential street and I was tense as he was taking me to a new year's party with some of his friends and I felt guilty for accepting it. I was definitely not ready to meet his friends, but I accepted the invitation because no alternative seemed better.

We were in a mostly residential area, far from the center. I walked by his side to a very traditional three-story house with a narrow brick facade.

He rang the bell and we waited while listening to some conversation inside. A few moments later the door opened, revealing a male figure that looked like a copy of Jaap, but with brown hair and brown eyes. I blinked my eyes trying to digest the bearded, bespectacled, tattooed man in front of me. He greeted Jaap with a hug and held out his hand to me, inviting us to enter.

Despite the traditional architecture of the house, its decoration was very casual and urban. I was looking at the walls of the entrance hall full of pictures with illustrations when Jaap explained to me that Daan, our host who met us at the door, is an art director at a large advertising agency in the city and I remembered that until a year and a half ago, Jaap also worked in advertising.

We entered the social area of ​​the house and were informed that we were the last to arrive. A Strokes song played in the background when we were greeted by yet another man, this one different from Jaap and Daan, and two women. It would just be the six of us.

His friends were fun, attentive and interesting, the conversations were pleasant. We had dinner and went back to the living room, settled on the sofas and the hours flew by. Jaap behaved very well and when we greeted the new year, he drank only two sips of the sparkling wine he had been offered. I, on the other hand, drank mine, his and a few other glasses.

Jaap drove calmly and carefully on the way back to Hilversum. He accompanied me to my door and accepted my invitation to stay over.

I was still taking the scarf off around my neck when I felt him pull me around the waist, in a smooth agility and turn my body towards him. I found him already without a coat and shoes. He had his eyes on mine, his big green eyes, and I found myself reflected there, surprised. Still in silence he unbuttoned my coat and unzipped it, helping me to remove it. He also took off my cardigan and kissed my shoulder, over the shirt I wore. I allowed his hands to find the button on my jeans and shivered when his fingers brushed my navel area.

He guided me to my room, demanding and caring. He was willing to give me the world, but he wanted something in return.