Maybe I Should Have Gone Home Earlier

Start from the beginning

Well, where I lived. It certainly wasn't home.

My feet felt heavier with every step, however. My backpack felt dangerously heavy, but with the mostly setting sun, I worried about getting home before dark. My feet moved a bit faster at my thoughts, hiking my backpack up higher on my shoulders.

It especially wouldn't do me any good if I got home at an unreasonable time. Lord knows Ryan wouldn't tolerate it. Last time I did that, he was forced to call the school and tell them I had lice as cover.

For the most part, I largely ignored the occasional cars that passed by me. The sound of a motorcycle, however, surprisingly caught my attention as it neared me. I hadn't seen one in Jasper in forever. No one really had anything flashy here. Instinctively, I turned to look for the vehicle.

To my utter horror, the motorcycle was heading towards me.

Before I could try to run, the rider stopped a couple feet away. My hands shook, ready to either run or possibly fight them off. It wouldn't do me good to run now, the motorcycle was much faster than I ever could.

"Mika!" The muffled voice from under the helmet sounded familiar, and when he pulled off his helmet, I sighed in relief. It was Jack. I mentored him when I could on some of his classes.

"Jack," I breathed in relief. "You scared me!"

His sheepish smile was endearing. "Sorry. I just saw you walking alone and thought I'd say hi." He seemed a little nervous, but then again, he was always like that around me. It seemed his nature to be like that around people.

"Are you heading home?"

His question brought me out of my thoughts. I gave him a small nod. "Yeah. Just finished working."

"Do you want a ride home? I-It's getting dark.."

His offer, however innocent, made my body go rigid. No one knew where I lived, no one knew anything about what went on. No one was allowed there. If Ryan saw me with anyone anywhere near our house-

The thought alone terrified me.

"I-I don't know, my dad-"

Jack was frantically moving his hands. "If you're worried about him seeing me, I could drop you off at the end of your street?"

While his responses seemed frantic, possibly, I wasn't sure, I passed it off as concern. It was getting dark, and nothing good happened then. Plus, the sooner I got home, the more likely Ryan would be in a better mood despite me being out later.

I let out a quiet sigh, hiking my backpack higher on my back. It felt far too heavy. "Okay."

A couple awkward moments later, I was finally situated behind him on his motorcycle, arms securely around him to keep me on. It took a lot of effort to get me to do that.

The wind whipped my hair around, despite my hastily made ponytail, which annoyed me a bit. Still, the annoyance paled in comparison to just how free I felt. I'd never ridden with anyone in a car other than Ryan and my older brother, and the latter hadn't happened in a couple years. I didn't even know how to drive. This was the first time I'd ever been on a motorcycle.

"Turn right at this light!" I yelled to him, realizing almost too late that we were going to pass the next turn. He shouted an affirmation to me, and began to turn.

The blinding headlights waiting for us from behind a building as we passed, however, and the nearly instant gunned engines, however, changed the whole situation completely.

"Shit!"

Jack's swear caught me completely off-guard, but the sudden lurch of power from his motorcycle nearly knocked me clean off. I barely managed to hold onto him, panicking.

"What the hell?!"

"Hold on to me!!" He didn't try to elaborate, doing his absolute best to dodge the two identical cars that now chased us. I heard him start speaking again, but I couldn't completely make out what he was saying.

"Jack, they're chasing us!!"

"I know!"

My heart pounded in my chest as I desperately clung to his frame. This was insane, what the hell was going on?! Who would even follow two high school kids on a motorcycle?!

And then, they weren't entirely cars anymore. The two cars now had massive guns emerging from them, red pulses of energy from them dangerously close to hitting us. I was pretty sure I was screaming.

Despite our best efforts, one of the blasts hit the motorcycle's back tire as we swerved, making us go out of control. Jack and I were sent flying, my screams about the only thing I heard at this point.

I couldn't see anything, but the screeching of metal and a yell of terror filled the air, and something caught me before I hit the ground.

"Arcee..!"

I could barely see, my mind dangerously close to unconsciousness. My blurred vision made no sense to me, but the yell of terror from Jack, and a huge yellow blur slammed into- something. It was getting too hard to see.

"Mika..!"

How am I going to get home now...? That last thought followed darkness.

Hi everyone! It's Rainblade here. I decided it was definitely time to rewrite this story, and it desperately needed it. The revised version will be updated here, but you can check out the original work over on my Quotev account. Meanwhile, enjoy this rewritten, revised version of Mika's story!