Days of Future Past

"Understood!"

The nurse calls for one of the residents and goes to get the parent.

Tatiana gives him a judge-mental look

"What?" He asks her

"And you wonder why they call you Satans spawn"

Kyle looks back at her "What? I didn't do anything"

"With all your respect, you are as bitchy as they come, always have been, the nurses know you will stand for them against the doctors when they're right, but the residents, you always throw them under the bus, you are harsh as hell on them in a way that not even doctors are" Said one of the other nurses in the room

Tatiana smirks at him "Told you, you are loved and hated in this place"

"They call you the dripping drill"
Said the nurse

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE DRIPPING DRILL; you hear that little girl they call her the dripping drill," Kyle says in a sweet and childish tone to the little girl as he tickles her nose, she laughs a bit vague do to the pain meds and Kyle looks at her with a soft and calm face making sure she feels safe

Tatiana looks back at the nurse "Who the hell calls me that?"

As she asks the question, a woman comes into the room accompanied by one of the nurses, the little girl looks up with a sense of home and safety now that her mom is in the room.

Kyle proceeds to update the mother as he and Tatiana work on assessing the little girl and moving on to other patients.

As they keep working, they reunite parents with their children, little by little crisis is averted, the intense rhythm cools down and the ER starts to look a bit calmer.

After a few hours, Kyle takes off his last gown and pair of gloves, toses them in the red trash can, and walks to the nurse's station where others are standing by "So how many injuries did we receive?"

"Around 37 kids and three teachers/assistants" Replies Malcolm with an exhausted tone

"Any deceased?" Asked Doctor Melton

"Three, and one is still in the OR," Said doctor Randall as he joins them

With a caseload like that, everyone gets to do their chartings and notes on records, doctor Melton approaches Kyle "Great job today"

"Thank you, you did well yourself" Kyle replied

Melton pats him on the back "You know, this reminded me of our first weeks here, we've come a long way, Mr. Sandoval"

To which Kyle replies with a joking tone "Well, I certainly have, you could still do better, but don't worry, practice makes perfect"

"HA HA HA, I'm your superior, you should watch that tongue of yours."

Kyle turns around to look at him "You may have a Ph.D., but you are not that superior, some may even say I better you in every aspect doctor Melton; Oh, and my tongue, she's just fine as it is"

They continue walking in the ER to the side of some computers, Melton turns his on and looks at Kyle "You certainly make all of our work twice as hard and, are you sure is not twisted or bitten down by the poison you spread around"

Kyle extended his neck and stretches his back "Well to some I may be Satans spawn to others I am gods right hand in the field, you just got to roll with it, and no, it's not bitten down or anything, and by the way, YOU ARE WELCOME!"

"What the hell for?" Asked Dr. Melton

Kyle logs in on the computer and looks back at Melton "Putting you in your place that day, look how far you've come ever since"

They both start laughing and continue to their reports.

Five years ago

September 27, 2025
Rochester, New York

Melton stands in Kyle's front door with a bottle of tequila and a bag of limes "So, are you finally going to tell me what the hell went down with you and the egos?"

Kyle smiles at him and waves him in "Fine, but first, I'm going to need like five shots of that" he points to the bottle of tequila

"Than say no more, let's drink and talk the night away"

Melton walks into the kitchen and brings out six shot cups and pours the tequila in them while Kyle leans against the wall looking at him go full bartender in his kitchen

"Bottoms up" They click their shots

______________________________
Kyle's afterwords for this chapter

"People often tend to tell parents how their children miss behaving the moment they walk into the room, what they don't know is, their change of behavior it's a sense of relief, their mothers are their safe space, the one place they can be themselves without judgment, that's why we cry out for the first, no matter the age, no matter the time, a mother is only one and she will always feel like home"
______________________________

*The future seems like a bright and successful place for Kyle and company, now, what happened back in the day between him and the egos? And what will come next for them?*

Continue reading chapter eight of
🗽Abroad Liberty🗽
To find out