Old Friend

"I'll never let go, Jack," Rose said with her frozen lips as she let go, Jack's body sinking into the deep ocean.

Frank tried to hold back his sobs but it was too much. He could hear Gerard sniffing next to him as well. Good, he won't laugh at him for crying when he is too. Frank felt an arm go around him as he leaned on Gerard's side, putting his head on his shoulder. The movie ended after a few minutes and no one moved as the credits started rolling.

"Never gets old," Gerard said as he reached the coffee table to get a tissue.

"This is the second time I see you crying," Frank laughed through his tears.

"I'd be a monster if I didn't cry," Gerard said, "but I'm not crying because DiCaprio died. The part that always makes me cry is when Wallace says, 'gentlemen it has been a privilege playing with you tonight' and continues playing, that moment was just... so sad. Everyone laughs at them for still playing while the ship is sinking but it's just so sad because they know they're going to die but they still play to at least calm the passengers down and do one last song with their band before dying. They're the real heroes in this story."

Frank just laughed, drying his cheeks from the tears. Gerard did the same. They continued sitting on the couch that they bought it's been a month, and watched the credits roll. Not that they were reading the names, who does? Each was into their own thoughts, simply just by staring at the screen.

The last two months, life's been more than perfect for Frank. He's got good grades, everyone's nice at work and Gerard is... well let's say not the same asshole that he was before. He's still an ass, but not the bad type. Not the type that would make cruel pranks or jokes on Frank just to get on his nerves, but the type that still teases him but knows his limits. Frank is grateful for that. He doesn't know what the guy is doing to him but he always feels safe whenever he's around Gerard. He feels like he's living his life rather than wasting it by just studying and going to work. He is fun to be around.

"So, we're getting our report card this week. You nervous?" Frank asked Gerard after the credits stopped rolling. They were in mid-February, which means they were already done with the second semester. Frank was happy about it. He had enough time to study and get good grades. He even had enough time to help Gerard study as well, which was more of a favour than an obligation compared to the last time he used to help him.

"Not really," Gerard said, "I just need to pass, which I'm sure I did because I see no reason why I wouldn't have. I worked enough to and had a good tutor," he smiled, looking down at Frank, "You?"

"Um, yeah, not as nervous as last semester," Frank replied, "why do you even go to college? You don't need to know maths to be able to draw. Like why don't you just start your career?"

"My dad forces me to," Gerard replied, "he doesn't want people to talk about how Donald Way's son is a waste and a college dropout. And I'm not starting my career now because my drawing skills aren't good enough. I need more practice."

"Are you kidding me!?" Frank snapped his head up from Gerard's shoulder to look him in the eyes, "from what I saw, you are really good, Gerard. I don't know what bullshit you're talking about but I think you're ready to start a career. You don't need a full-time job or something, but you can already start. You're ready to. What do you even want to do?"

"Comics?" Gerard said, which came out more of a question, "I don't know, I love drawing, I love making up stories, so I guess making comics is my best option, not to mention I love reading them as well."

"Then you should start working on them now," Frank said, "if you wait you're just gonna waste years of your life, and Gerard, you really should start making your own money and stop being dependent on your parents. You'll see, it's the best thing that can ever happen. You'll become your own person and there won't be some boomer to tell you how you should sort your life, I'm telling you from my own experience."