chapter 010

THE WATER FROM THE SINK FAUCET RUNS down my arm to my elbow making me squirm.

Great.

I scrub harder on the dishes, trying to clean the mess of plates and silverware in the sink. I decided to get a head start on chores today, which is so unlike me since I usually have one of my housekeepers do these things. But today, I decided to stop being so dependent on them... and try to take my emotions out on the dishes. Suds from the soap are all over the marble countertop from my vicious scrubbing. A voice from the doorway causes me to jolt.

"Are you cleaning the dishes?" Before I could reply to my mother, she cuts me off. "Make sure they're clean." The comment makes me inwardly groan. Before leaving for work, she narrows her eyes at me and struts out the door. My shoulders instantly relax. My mom always does that thing where she comments on whatever I'm doing and belittles me in the process. I mean, she's not a horrible mother at all. She provides for me, she's always some-what supportive and she's kind to my friends. She never puts any pressure on me to get things done, overall she's a decent mom. Well... that's what I tell myself whenever she does something to piss me off. Like, she can't stand when I make a rebuttal to her one of her outrageous outbursts. Or whenever I make a good point- she loves to tell me how privileged I am to be her daughter and how I shouldn't be talking to her like that. She also enjoys comparing me to her co-worker's children. Or really anyone's children at this point.

Look how Janice's daughter...

Did you see the Facebook post I sent you of Michelle?

Did you see David's son up on stage?

Why can't you be like Beatrice's nephew?

Nothing impresses her. She puts no pressure on me whatsoever and I'm so grateful for that but... It seems like no matter how many awards I receive or achievements I win, she's never satisfied. Knowing I'll be 4,836 miles away from her gives me just a tad bit of reassurance. I decide to look outside the window to take my mind off my 'mommy issues' when I notice a foreign silver Porsche parked outside of Mason's driveway. All of the sudden, his front door opens up. I instinctively cower below the window, my eyes still peering outside. It was a bit pointless to duck since Mason never looks towards my house anyways but regardless, I freeze, just in case that maybe he would. Or I can pray he wouldn't and save myself the embarrassment. He walks an all-too-familiar blonde out to her car and opens up the door for her. Before getting in, she tackles Mason with her toned arms wrapped around his neck, hugging him tightly, and smiles at him. As someone who jumps to conclusions often, I can say that there's only one assumption in my head–Aurora Robins spent the night at Mason Cantley's house.

That's great, that's awesome, fantastic even. This just made my day so much better.

Finishing up the plates, I slam the last dish into the cabinets and tidy myself up before heading out to my car. I walk outside, opening my car door. When I hear a male voice call my name.  "Alinna!" Mason's voice echoes throughout the quiet neighborhood. This makes Aurora's head jerk back to see me. I decide to ignore him and hop in my car. Before pulling out of the driveway, large rough hands tap the glass of my window. He puts his other hand to block the sun while the other rested on the hood of my car. I roll my eyes and decide to roll down the window.

"What do you want Cantley? Can't you see I'm a bit busy?" I'll admit, the way I said it was a bit harsh–but as of right now I wanted nothing to do with him.

Taken aback from my tone, his brows knitted. "Why did you rush out of the car yesterday? Was something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. Just drop it and leave me alone, you had no trouble doing that before."