"You're the one who said on the first day that you were joining the Survey Corps," he says.

He says it like a statement, not a question. "And?" you ask, frowning.

"I want to join them too," he says, and there's a fire in his eyes that makes you believe him. "And everyone who hears me say that just says I'm crazy. You don't find many people who want to."

You shrug, leaning backwards. "Not many people have a death wish."

"Do you?"

"No."

"Then why are you aiming for the Survey Corps?"

You consider your words, then answer, "I've got someone waiting for me there."

"Oh." The boy stares at you, pondering your reasoning. Then, his shoulders roll back, like he's relaxing. "Can I sit?"

"Go for it."

He sits down across from you, setting his plate down on the table. "Eren!" someone calls, and you look up to see a girl with black hair and sharp eyes moving towards you. She's got a red scarf wrapped around her shoulders. She's quite pretty. "I was gone for two seconds," she mumbles. She eyes you warily, like she's not sure whether you're a friend or foe.

"Just making friends, Mikasa," the boy named Eren says. "No biggie."

"You can sit too, if you want," you say, gesturing to the empty table. "There's space."

Mikasa watches for a moment, then sits down next to Eren. "What's your name?" Eren asks, biting into his bread.

"Just call me Logan. You?"

"I'm Eren. And this is Mikasa. And- hey, Armin!" Eren calls, waving at a blond boy looking around the mess hall. The poor kid jumps upon hearing his name, but when he spots Eren, he comes towards the table, smiling. "And this is Armin," Eren concludes. "We've all been friends since we were kids."

"H- Hi," Armin says, sitting on the other side of Eren. "I saw you in combat training- you're really good."

You raise an eyebrow. "Oh? Thanks." It's all beginner stuff. No big deal.

"Why do you wear an eyepatch?" Eren says bluntly.

Mikasa elbows him. "Eren, you can't just ask people that."

"It's an obvious question," he objects, huffing. "Not my fault everyone else is too scared to ask."

You blink in surprise. "Scared to ask?"

Armin shares an uncomfortable glance with Mikasa, but Eren just forges on, oblivious. "Only a few people managed to get the hang of that ODM drill right away," he says, glancing sideways at Mikasa. "Plus you've beat everyone up in combat training. And you don't, well, you don't seem that friendly."

"I don't seem friendly," you repeat.

"It's probably the eye patch," he laments with a shrug.

"Eren, you're being rude," Armin whispers.

You laugh to yourself. You never realized that you were being seen as intimidating; you'd just assumed everyone already had people that they wanted to hang out with. "My eye's scarred," you say casually, reaching up and pulling your eyepatch down. You blink your bad eye open, pleased at how much progress you've made. It's almost as good as new. "It's been healing for a while. I've got vision now, though. Almost back to normal."

Armin and Eren gasp, and even Mikasa's eyes widen. "That's a nasty scar," Armin murmurs.

"How'd you get it?" Eren asks eagerly.