"He was my assistant, Brad! Lord forbid I try to keep things professional. Plus I didn't even know what his sexuality was- actually, fuck that, I didn't even know if this guy liked me in general."

Brad reached for his coffee for the first time this morning, to take a sip. He was really just trying to buy himself more time.

"I just- I have a 6 month plan and-"

"I ought to slap the shit outta you."

Brad took another large gulp. At least this conversation meant my money wasn't being wasted.

"If you do not kiss this woman tonight, I'm going to pull the Mr. Twigs card."

Brad's body stilled, as his eyes finally found mine. "You wouldn't." He whispered. I gave him a sly grin.

"I would, and I will. A soon as we make it back, I'll pay a little visit to Ms. Anderson and let her know just who killed her beloved Parrot fifteen years ago."

"That's fucked up, Christian. You know she was my favorite eight grade home room teacher and you know it was a fucking accident." He whispered aggressively at me.

I just shrugged. "Mr. Twigs did not deserve to go out that way. You knew what you were doing with that BB gun."

"I visit her almost every day out of guilt!" He snapped back.

"And everyday, you live a lie." I retorted.

Brad took a moment before he replied again. He looked to be contemplating things.

"I just- I just don't know how to, you know, advance us there? I feel like I constantly say all the wrong things when I'm around her. It's fucking embarrassing." He sighed.

"Oh Brad." I joined in on the sigh. "I say stupid things all the fucking time in front of Alex. No one says the right things all the time. Just tell her how you feel. Be yourself. Be genuine... that one's key because I'll tell you right now, Joan can smell bullshit from a mile away." That made Brad chuckle as he nodded in agreement. "I'm glad you've found someone who makes you sound like a fucking idiot. It was time someone did."

That part made Brad turn red.

But it was true. For someone who always seemed so composed, it was a breath of fresh air to have someone else knock him off balance a bit. He needed a good shake up.

"It doesn't need to be anything over the top. Joan definitely isn't that kind of woman. I think she'll appreciate something a little more heartfelt." I ended with.

Brad smirked. "You know, I think the same could be said about Alex."

-

Once I made it back to our suite, I was excited to see Alex up and getting ready. His sleeping habits were something I was still trying to grow accustomed to.

He just- he just slept so much.

"Good morning." I grinned, as I watched him dry his damp hair with one of the resort towels. He was already in a different Hawaiian shirt and khaki shorts, so it looks like all that was left was the hair. The shirt he picked out today was a little more dialed down than what he was wearing yesterday.

It was actually, dare I say... nice?

"Good morning! I got your text that you were down in the business center with Brad. Did everything go okay?" He asked. I grabbed a second towel off the shower rack, and walked over to help him dry the back of his head. His cheeks grew rosy, but he allowed it.

"Just some loose ends but we're all up to speed now. I ran into Derek and John together downstairs, too. Super weird." I added. Alex's eyes had started to drift closed as I continued to massage his scalp with the towel.

"Anything involving Derek is bound to be weird. I'm sure he's super excited about the hot dog eating competition, though. Thanks for going with me today. I know it's probably the last place on earth you'd want to be."

That wasn't entirely true, I thought. Fry me up and call me a cheese curd but I couldn't fathom being anywhere with Alex and thinking it's the last place on earth I'd want to be. Most times I often think it's the first.

"I'm kind of excited," I lied, "I'm sure it will be entertaining."

Alex laughed. "Don't worry, as soon as the first person pukes, we're out of there." I let out a sigh of relief at his words.

-

Once Alex was finished getting ready, I brought him down to the restaurant for breakfast. He was hesitant to order anything in case this hot dog eating competition got less entertaining and more gross. I thought that was very justified. He settled on something light which was one pancake and a fruit cup. I ordered some oatmeal to keep things healthy.

Working out and I had recently been on an on again and off again relationship, and I didn't really want to lose my healthy eating regime too. This body wasn't going to take well to that.

We had to rush through most of breakfast because the competition started at 11. Luckily, the location of the competition wasn't too far away from the resort. John had actually arranged a driver for Alex, Joan, Brad, and I. When I messaged him about Derek, he let me know that he was personally driving him there.

This day just kept getting weirder.

Both Joan and Brad looked stunning. Brad was in something I never thought I'd see him wear. It was this light cotton sort of bohemian slightly oversized short sleeve shirt. The front was a deep collared V neck. It went well with Joan's light green floral dress.

Somehow, Alex had convinced me to buy one of the Hawaiian shirts they sold at the resort's gift shop, so we could match. Everyone's outfit on this trip made me wish I had hired a camera man to come with. We just looked so out of our element.

It was nice though.

I was unexpectedly surprised when we made it to the site of the competition. What I expected was maybe a small tent for the main event, and a couple food stands up or something...

What we were met with was not that.

Not that at all.

••