Chapter 14- His Kindred [E]

Start from the beginning

Duncan looked at him strangely, questioning him with his eyes. Julien just shook his head silently, sending him a carefully veils expression of carelessness and waited, infused with frustration staring passed Patrick's vast view of the city.

All the men in the room suddenly stood up, startling Julien out of his dark thoughts. He was the last to stand as they shuffled out the door. He assumed they were on their way to inspect the office space Patrick had available, luckily no one noticed he was preoccupied, deep in thought.

Patrick stopped by his secretary's desk. "Please inform my children to meet us at the restaurant we have reservations for. I'll be showing my guests the corporate space we have available right now." He told her looking down at his watch.

"Yes sir." She replied.

Pulling the drawer from her desk, the secretary pulled a set of keys and handed them to Patrick. Julien was relieved and disappointed. He was to be deprived of her presence yet again, but his mood lightened knowing he would be closer to seeing the one person that could calm his inner turmoil.
********

It was official, they were to be office neighbors.  Victor, Duncan, Julien and Patrick agreed to the arrangement. The whole 30th floor now would be occupied. Patrick's corporate offices were located to the right side of the wide spacious floor and soon the St. James' will occupy the left side. Glass doors and a expansive marbled hallway separated the two companies.

Julien was on edge during the vast tour of the corporate space. Although he kept up with the small group, his thoughts kept detouring toward the sushi restaurant where his duchess awaited.

He was determined to keep breaking through the hard shell she'd built around herself and force her to respond to him. The only way to accomplish this was for Julien to have as much contact with her as possible.

He also knew the affect he had on her as well. She didn't completely trust him. He sensed it as she fought his advances. Her body language spoke volumes, although she was attracted to him, her distrust and insecurities held her back from completely accepting him.

For one thing he was sure, he could not, would not live without her. She was the air he breathed, a beacon of light that kept calling to him, like a siren; his kindred spirit, his soulmate, and sensed it within every fiber of his being.

Had someone foretold him his future he would have laughed in their face. He was one of the most sought after bachelors in all of Europe. Women would throw themselves at him left and right. He never had a serious relationship with anyone before nor had he been interested in anyone of his past flings. Julien's never had to work to pursue a women's attention until now, not until he met Annie.

She pushed him away, and tested his patience and never tried to capture his attention like most women. It was one of her most attractive attributes and a tremendously attractive quality that was rare to see and awakened feelings in him he didn't know he possessed.

He's never come across someone like her.

Behind that wall held a wild, passionate woman waiting for the right man.  So unique, different, innocent, smart, strong, beautiful and he wanted her all to himself.  And he was determined enough to know he will have her one way or the other. 

Patrick, Victor, and Duncan decided to make a quick stop back to Patrick's office to sign the paperwork for the lease of the office space.  Julien, not liking to prolong his chance to see Annie any longer, made an excuse saying he had an important phone call to attend to and he would meet them at the restaurant.

They parted ways and Julien headed to the restaurant. He finally entered, exhaling deeply. The hostess insisted to escort him where the reserved table was occupied and he quickly assured her he'd find his own way. He saw Annie and Cici with their backs to him. From the stiff set of her shoulders, Annie looked to be uncomfortable as Cici kept talking to her and clearly upsetting her.

They didn't notice his approach as he listened to their conversation.

"Drop it would you?" Annie told her tensing up even more from his standpoint.

"Well, excuse me for giving a damn! I'm not the one that looks like they're going to bolt out the door! Shit Annie! You got it bad! Deny it all you want, I'm not blind. I see what's going on between the both of you." Cici replied intensely while starring at Annie.

Julien knew Cici suspected something. The knowing glint in her eyes spoke volumes when he would catch her looking between him and Annie on numerous occasions.

It was obvious she hadn't informed her sister of his repeated advances. It was evident she didn't want anyone to know, she liked her privacy—the type that didn't kiss and tell like all other females would have done.

He hated seeing her in so much distress. Annie massaged her temples with one hand as the other rubbed the back of her neck.   Their conversation causing her unneeded stress.

He vowed to try and lighten his outward interest of her in front of others. It is what she would want he knew, simply from the many brief times they were alone, she didn't need an audience. Whatever was happening between them, it was new to her and she needed time to absorb it all without any intrusions.

Suddenly they felt his presence behind them. They looked at each other before they turned back at the same time spotting him a mere two feet away. Their eyes widened in shock.

Julien smiled. 

"Good afternoon ladies."

They didn't utter a word as they gazed at him suspiciously. Annie suddenly blushed and groaned to herself. Cici wiped the shocked look from her face and smiled politely. "Hi, how long were you standing there for?" She boldly asked him, suspicion evident in her voice.

Long enough, he wanted to say, but instead he said, "I just arrived, the hostess," turning slightly and pointing toward the entrance, "just escorted me here to the table." He smoothly informed her, telling half the truth, his hands in his pockets. "Did I startle you? I do apologize, it wasn't my intention." He smiled sheepishly at them both, lying easily so he could ease their suspicion. Cici didn't seem easily convinced only nodding, a tight smile forming her lips.

Cici gave Annie a side glance. She appeared as though she wished the ground would open up and swallow her alive.

"Please, have a seat." Annie offered tightly gesturing to the table, her face turning scarlet. Julien made his way around the table and sat directly across from them both.

"We just finished the tour of the corporate space and I'm happy to say we will be occupying it." He declares, ignoring the tension and changing the subject with light conversation.

Annie and Cici's expression changed to surprise as they listened. "That's wonderful, we're glad it suited your needs. Where is everybody else? I thought they were going to meet up here?" Cici asked looking back at the entrance in search of the others.

"They went back to the office to finalize the paperwork so we'll be able to start moving in first thing tomorrow. I received an important phone call earlier and had to leave them, they should be here shortly." He lied smoothly, his gray eyes boring into Annie's stormy blue ones. She looked away quickly, and turned a shade redder, if it were possible.   "How is you ankle?" He asked directing his question to her.

Gulping heavily she looked at him, "Much better, thank you." Julien nodded, relieved to hear she was doing better.

She preoccupied herself by fiddling with her phone, avoiding any further contact with him. It was like that for the rest of the afternoon. Even when they finished Annie kept avoiding to look at him and pointedly ignored him. He was frustrated but being close to her, being able to look at her was enough for him for now. But he wanted more, so much more and he wasn't going to wait much longer.

All he had to do was get her alone, somehow...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How was it? Please vote. Share
Thanks Shaz.