21. Experimenting

Author's Note:

Hey, Beauties!

Let me know if you guys want to start seeing intimate scenes (if you know what I mean ;)) and some more explicit language!

- Jess <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know I love you no matter what, right?" my father says kneeling down so that five-year-old me can reach him. I nod with laughter that fills the room. "Daddy, why do you look different than me?"

 "Daddy, why do you look different than me?"

(Note: This is your father, Dawn Monroe)

"Because you-" he pokes my nose, "are more special than you can ever imagine." he gently kissed my forehead. "Now, are you ready for the tickle monster to come to get you if you don't go to bed?!" he exclaims and starts wiggling his fingers. "No, no!" I giggle. Dad starts tickling me as I laugh loudly.

"Dawn, why are you still playing with her? It's past her bedtime you know," Mom says crossing her arms from my doorway. "Mommy, one more minute, please! I want daddy to read me a bedtime story," I begged. She sighed with a nod, waving her hand. Father chuckled and picked me up, tucking me into bed.

"Do you want to hear about the princess again?"

I excitedly nod. "Ymir!"

Father lets out a low laugh. "I had a feeling she would be your favorite."

****

I blinked open my eyes, gasping loudly. I looked up at the skies and noticed streaks of lightning. Hange insisted that we do an experiment today, but I had to dig deep into my memories in order for a move to happen. I was starting to get better at controlling my powers each and every day despite receiving lectures to "start taking breaks" from Levi. That man still knows how to get on my nerves but I brush it off.

"Woah! Levi do you see that!" Hange pointed to the purple skies with her pen. "Yes Hange, I have eyes," Levi says with a small sigh. "MOBLIT! Draw this quickly!" she yells, startling her poor assistant to start sketching.

I curved my fingers a little to the right, directing the lightning to go a different direction and it obeyed the movement of my fingers. "Holy shit, Levi! Your girl can sure do anything!" Hange exclaims. Levi gently massaged his forehead, looking more annoyed than ever.

I took a deep breath, thinking of the darkest moments in my life. The grief I had to endure after my father and Charlie's death. I started feeling the painful emotions I felt back then, tilting my head to the side. I felt tears sliding down my cheeks as I recall my father's last words.

"Holy smokes!" Hange yells

"Holy smokes!" Hange yells. I open my eyes and look up again. The skies turned pitch black and the only light was the bolts of lightning. The wind was blowing heavy as a couple of tree branches flew off along with its leaves. "Uhh, Y/N? I think we are good for today!" she says, covering her head with her clipboard. Levi looked panicked but he tried to remain calm, running towards me. "Stay back!" I told him but a bolt of lightning targetted him and punched the ground. Thankfully, he dodged it in time. 

I was starting to panic and lose control but I took deep breaths. Slowly in and out, closing my eyes. The wind died down and I heard the birds chirping again. I slowly blinked open my eyes and was relieved to see the same dull green scenery. Levi quickly gets up, running towards me. "Are you okay? Hurt?" he asks as he takes my hands and examines my palms. "I'm fine. Quit nagging, I'm more worried about what I could've done to you," I said pulling my hands away. "You could've hurt yourself from all that," he crossed his arms. "What were you even thinking of that caused this?"

I look down and quietly sighed. "Nothing."

He glared at me for a good minute. As if he was calling me a liar without saying a word. "Can you stop staring at me?" I nicely asked. His death glares are a killer and intimidating. 

"Hey, Y/N! I got new reports for you from this experiment!" Hange calls from behind. I silently thanked her in my head, grateful to avoid Levi's fatherly talks. We both walk over to her and look at her clipboard. 

"So you see here, every time you think of an event, it triggers your emotions and your powers." she points. "It seems that in order to use your powers, you need a reaction or an emotion to trigger it, but only if you consent to it. Let's say, for instance, you're upset and feel like crying. You subconsciously either consent to it or not and if you do- rain starts pouring down."

My eyes slightly widen with my brows raised. "Wow, I didn't think I could do this much," I said. "Let's hope you don't trigger anything around me," Levi cuts in. "Or you'll regret it."

I stare at him. "Oh, is that a challenge?" 

He slightly smirks. "If that's what you make it to be." 

Hange looks at us back and forth. "Uh... leave me out of this challenge. I'm gonna go now, bye!" 

I silently laugh.

"Let's go back to my office and we can talk about that challenge of yours," Levi said, stepping closer to me. I push him back two steps. 

"Bring it, captain."