Chapter 17: Who She Was

Start from the beginning

"I promise, Iya..."

"Thank you." The memory faded as I felt reality coming back to me.

I opened my eyes as I stared at Tsunade, her face was filled with sadness. I looked down as I thought about that promise my father made to her before she passed away.

"He lied..." I muttered.

"What?" Tsunade asked confused.

"My father promised her that he would tell me about her and about how much she loved me, he never did." I shook my head. "He always wanted to see me suffer." I whispered.

"Amaya, I don't think thats the truth. I'm sure your father wanted to tell you about your mother, but she was worried about the Senju powers that dwell inside of you. She had a special power that was very rare for our clan, she always told me she felt that same power dwelling inside of you. She was worried that assassins would come for you, just as they came for her." I shook my head, fighting back the tears.

"But if I had known, then maybe...I could have done something..." She frowned. But this wasn't the time to get all shaken up. "Thank you, Lady Hokage. I'm sorry if I took up more time." I bowed lightly and she walked back to her chair after a moment of hesitation.

"The reason I have called both of you here is that your instructor Asuma and the proctors of the exams believed that you both were good candidates to become Chunin. Though it was meant to be that no one from this previous exam was meant to be considered your proctors believed that you both held promise and insisted." I was confused.

"Wait...I could understand Shikamaru being made Chunin he made it to the finals but I didn't. Why does that make me qualified for Chunin?"

"Under normal circumstances that's a reasonable question. But you two have excellent teamwork skills and leadership. Your strategic analysis of battle is unparalleled compared to the other Genin that participated in the exams. Amaya you hold two very special powers and you knew not to expose either during the exams for fear of that information being leaked to possible enemies. That alone is a strategic move for any Chunin to make on missions. And your cooperation with Shikamaru during the attack on our village showed how well the two of you can use your knowledge and skills as leaders. That is why you are qualified for Chunin." She gave me a smile.

"I see..."

"Now let's make this official if you both accept you will be promoted to the level of Chunin."

"I'll do my best, for the sake of those that put their trust in me." I smiled.

"Guess I can't turn it down either." Shikamaru chuckled.

"Excellent we are expecting good work for the two of you."

"Yes ma'am." We both stated, putting on our Chunin jackets.

~

After that Asuma took us all out to eat to celebrate.

"You two are amazing." Choji smiled while shoving food in his face.

"Thanks Choji but so are you." I complimented back.

"So Amaya are we just not going to talk about what Lady Tsunade showed you?" Shikamaru finally broke the silence. I frowned.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Choji asked.

"Shikamaru please...not now." I begged.

"Amaya..."

"To see her face again to know the truth, it's what I wanted but it's not easy to accept. I was lied to my whole life..." I muttered.

"Amaya-" Asuma cut off Shikamaru.

"I think we should give her some time to think about all of this."

"Thank you, Asuma." I muttered, getting up from my seat.

"Where are you-?" Shikamaru started.

"For a walk. I need to get my thoughts together I'll see you later." And with that I walked out of the restaurant.

Mom...to know the truth, to know how much you loved me...enough to give your life so I would be safe from the very same assassins that murdered you.

Why would father never tell me about you?

I arrived at the river and sat down on the dock, shutting my eyes as the wind surrounded me.

"So you're the Senju brat?" A voice spoke from in front of me.

"Are you one of the assassins that killed my mother?" I asked back not opening my eyes.

"Maybe I am. What are you going to do about it?" He chuckled. This time I opened my eyes to see the markings of the Hidden Mist.