He played really well

Demir left the Ekram room with the man's words across his throat. It didn't matter that he was superior to him, he had no right to imply such absurdity about him. He should have defended himself even against his boss's will, choosing silence was not a very good decision.

What if Ekram Bey interpreted Demir's lack of effort to defend himself as a guilty plea?

No. It couldn't happen.

He was about to turn and walk back into the room when he heard Merve calling his name. Demir looked up at his friend's face and looked at her confused expression. She wanted to ask what had happened, but was afraid of the answer.

— Vedat Bey is waiting for you at the cafeteria. — Merve chose to start the dialogue with Demir on a neutral subject.

— Right. — The doctor sighed heavily. — Let's go.

He passed Merve and the two followed in silence down the hospital corridors towards the cafeteria. They found Vedat having a cup of coffee at one of the few tables that were occupied at that time.

Ne oldu oğlum? — Vedat asked as soon as the two approached him. — Merve said you were talking to your boss. What did he want?

Demir did not respond immediately. He indicated a chair for Merve to sit on and then sat at the table with the two of them. The curious and concerned looks of his friends made him anxious. How was he going to explain what had happened without it seeming that Ekram Bey was right?

— Ekram Bey said that I am no longer the doctor responsible for Selin here at the hospital.

Ne? — Merve shouted, drawing the attention of those present. — Nasıl? Ele não pode fazer isso!

— He can and he did, Merve. — The doctor stated with disgust.

Neden? — Vedat asked in surprise.

— Because I'm taking advantage of her, Vedat.

Yok artık! — Exclaimed Merve, almost jumping from her chair.

— Demir this is absurd! — Vedat declared, tapping the table with his palm.

— That's what he said. — Demir sighed. — And as if that weren't enough, he said that the only reason he didn't send me away is because having my name on the hospital's medical staff brings prestige.

— Demir Bey...

— I knew that, Merve. From the beginning, I knew exactly why Ekram came looking for me and I was okay with that. I really didn't care about that. — Revealed the doctor. — But the fact that he suspected that I would be able to harass a patient was really a surprise.

— How did he come to that conclusion? — Vedat asked looking at his friend.

— Burak. — Demir said. — Burak has been spreading this story in all parts of the hospital. It is not surprising that he made that lie reach his father's ear. He played very well, I have to admit.

— Mainly because he was not the one who openly accused you to Ekram Bey. — Merve counted.

— No? — Demir got scared.

— No. — Informed Merve. —- When you came to check on Selin and I left the room, I overheard some doctors and nurses talking. They said that Burak had done the right thing to call his father, that the situation with Selin had reached the limit of the tolerable. — The doctor could not hide her expression of disgust. — They wondered why a patient was so attached to a doctor to the point that she has an outbreak of that level. It was then that one of the nurses said that Burak was right, that you behaved with her differently than the others. — Merve looked at his friend with some regret. — She said that one day, when she went to check on Selin, that she said you made her feel special. That the way you treated her was unique.

Demir closed his eyes tightly. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Part of him wanted to punch his head against the wall as punishment for being so inattentive. Another party wanted to meet one by one of those who dared to insinuate such barbarity and confront them. But another part, a small part that he wanted to keep hidden, was pleased to know that Selin was happy with the way he took care of her.

— One of the doctors said that you were deluding Selin because although she was condemned to live in a wheelchair, she was very beautiful. — Merve took a deep breath before continuing. — And that maybe her parents should be concerned about your late-night visits to her.

Demir raised his hand to his eyes and massaged his temples. It could only be a nightmare.

— This is a very serious accusation. — Vedat observed. — Ekram Bey shouldn't take it seriously without evidence.

— He doesn't need proof, Vedat Bey. — Remembered Merve. — He has his son as collateral.

— If Semih Bey had told me that he did not approve of the way I treated his daughter, I would understand. — Demir claimed. — If Reyhan Hanım had gone to Ekram Bey's office and said that he thought my behavior was inappropriate, I would understand. — The doctor's anger seemed to grow as the words came out and his mouth, it was clear that he was controlling himself not to explode. — If Selin had looked me in the eye and said that she no longer wanted me to be responsible for her, I would have accepted. But Burak and the others...

— Demir, sakin ol. — Asked Vedat.

—- That's too low, Vedat. Too.

—- We know this is unfair, but there is nothing we can do hot-headed. — Warned the florist cautiously. — You need to calm down to find a solution.

— The quickest and most efficient solution is to talk to Selin's parents. — Merve advised. — If they go to Ekram Bey and say they disagree with the accusation and his decision, the problem will be solved.

— I have no right to ask them that, Merve. — Demir declared, exhaling heavily. — And even if I had, I wouldn't be able to do that. They don't deserve to go through this type of situation anymore.

Tamam, I understand that it is really a delicate and unpleasant subject, but, Demir, your career and your reputation are at stake. — Vedat reminded him. — You can't afford to be proud now.

— It is not pride, Vedat. — Demir justified himself. — I just can't look Semih Bey and Reyhan Hanım in the eyes and say that I was accused of harassing their daughter.

— What if we talked to the girl? — Suggested the florist to his friend.

Hayır. — Demir vehemently denied. — Sakın ha.

— Selin will not handle the situation well, Vedat Bey. — Merve said. — Demir Bey disappeared for two days and she almost brought the hospital down.

— And that is exactly why you should talk to her as soon as possible. — Vedat insisted. — If she had a crisis due to a two-day leave, imagine what will not happen to this girl when she finds out that Demir will no longer be her doctor.

— Vedat is right. — Demir sighed in disgust. — Everything that happened today was because they hid the truth from her. She doesn't need to know the real reason, but I can't hide from her that I'm going to walk away.

Emin misin, Demir Bey?

— We have no other option. I will not risk her recovery because of Burak's lack of character. I can not do this.

— You are the one who knows, Demir Bey. — Merve gave up. — But how and when to tell?

—- Not now. We need to wait a little longer. She needs to overcome today's crisis first. We have a month to prepare her for this news.

— Let's hope that nobody passes in front of us.