Chapter 4: Escape From W.C.K.D.

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?" She asked.

"We gotta leave right now. Come on." I helped her up as I saw Newt helping Teresa up.

"Guys? They're coming! Where do we go?" Frypan called.

"Frypan! Move!" Newt said as the boy obeyed.

The blonde flipped a table, pushing it against the door as I saw Teresa rush over to Y/n.

"Y/n! Are you okay?" She asked.

My sister nodded, before Teresa hugged her tightly. She hugged back, then they pulled away, making Teresa grip Y/n's hand now.

The guards started pushing through the door as we all backed up to the other side of the room, while Minho kept the gun aimed at the door.

"Get back! Get back! Okay, we gotta get outta here!"

I saw a window behind us, making an idea come to mind, "Everyone stand back!" I grabbed a stool, starting to hit the window.

He didn't break. I turned to Newt, "Newt! Help, help!"

He grabbed a stool before we both hit it in unison, finally breaking it.

"Go, go, go!"

Teresa put a blanket for her and Y/n to climb over as Newt helped her get over the broken glass, while I grabbed Y/n, helping her over. Once I put my baby sister down, Teresa gripped her hand again as Minho passed me the gun.

"Stay behind me!" I said before opening the door, only to be met by a guard.

Quickly, I shot him, causing him to fly across the hall, shaking vigorously. We all ran past him, turning a corner, the doors now in our view. Once we got there, I started sliding the keycard through the machine, but it wasn't working.

"Y/n! Thomas!" I heard Janson's voice from the other side of the hallway.

We all snapped our heads to him as I pushed Y/n behind Teresa before walking up to Janson, aiming the gun at him.

"Open this door, Janson!"

"You really don't want me to."

"Open the damn door!"

"Listen to me!" He shouted over me. "I'm trying to save your lives. The maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last one day... out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the Cranks will. Y/n, Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you."

"Yeah, let me guess. Wicked Is Good?" I grumbled.

He sighed, dropping his arms to his sides as he smirked at me, "You're not getting through that door, Thomas."

Just then, I heard a sound from behind me, making me look over my shoulder, seeing the doors now opening, revealing Aris and Winston on the other side. They all went through, except for Y/n.

"Thomas! Come on! Let's go!" 

I started frantically walking backwards, shooting at Janson and the guards. Soon, the gun ran out of ammo, making me throw it at the them, before running to the others. I could hear the footsteps of Janson and the guards behind me.

"Shut the main vault door! Shut the main vault door!" I heard Janson shout.

Suddenly, the doors started closing, making the others scream for me to go faster or to hurry up. Right before they fully closed, I slid underneath them, everyone else helping me up to my feet. I gripped Y/n's hand as Aris ran forwards to the lock, breaking it so they couldn't get to the other side.

Janson finally made it to the door, trying to open it, but once he saw he couldn't, he rested his hands on the window, looking through it at us. I saw he wasn't looking at me, but someone beside me. I turned my head, seeing him glaring at Y/n.

She gave him the finger, glaring right back.

"You little shit." He said on the other side, still glaring at my sister.

I grabbed her hand, pulling her along with the others. We followed everyone, soon stopping at a large door. I saw a lever on it, so I pulled it, causing the doors to open. I turned back to Y/n, going to grip her hand as I saw Teresa was already holding her other one.

Sand was flying everywhere when the doors opened, as I glanced at everyone, "Come on. Come on!"

We all ran through the sandstorm, getting far from the building as we heard shouts from the guards, who were looking for us.

"We'll lose them in the storm!" I called back.

As we were climbing up a hill, we tried looking for any type of shelter. But all there was... was sand.