Chapter 9 - Gabriel

Comenzar desde el principio

I flashed him a quiet smile and ducked my head down, staring at the messages like they held all the answers to life and death. 

‘Oy’

My head shot up and looked down to the right hallway to see who he was calling to.  It was empty.  I glanced back to him and saw him looking directly at me.  His eyes were a bright crystalline blue, excited and wild.  ‘So you’re the troublemaker.’

Heat filled my cheeks.  What had they told him?

‘I’m Sang?’ I queried.  Why was I asking him instead of telling him.  Feeling vulnerable and flustered I glanced down at the messages quickly.  Nope, they weren’t telling me what to say.  Work hard and head down.  Schooling my face I took a deep breath and tried again. 

‘I’m Sang, can I help with anything?’

‘Yes, as a matter of fact.  I’m Gabriel and you’re just what I’ve been looking for.’

All attempts of professionalism left me as I sat there stunned.  What?   I quickly turned, picking up his message and tried again.  ‘You’ve got one message here, a simple return call for when you’re available.  Was that all you needed me for?’

His lips twisted into a grin and he held out his hand for mine.  ‘No, I’ll ‘require’ your assistance with a job I’m doing at the moment.  If you’ll come this way...’  his voice trailed off as he waited for me to take his hand.

I looked at my desk.  My plan was to try and stay at my desk as much as possible, mingling politely in the tea room but keeping to myself like I always did.  I had been at work barely 15 minutes and my plan was failing. 

I looked back to him and saw his eyes watching me closely, assessing.  I felt a shiver of awareness at how intently he was studying me.  I could do this.  I’d help him in what he had to do then get back to my post. 

I placed my hand in his and stood up, giving my hand a small tug to ensure he released it.   

The reception door swung open and heavy footsteps came in then halted.  I turned ready to grasp this chance at keeping my position at the reception desk.  I could welcome the client and hopefully divert Gabriel.

My eyes widened in horror.  There, standing in front of me, was Nathan.  Oh for a large tree to jump behind now.  

His eyes met mine and he leapt forward, dropping a black gym bag to the ground with a crash.   

I stumbled backwards and felt Gabriel’s eyes follow me as I hit the wall.  Was he a client? Why did he have to come here now.  Why didn’t I jump up and go with Gabriel as soon as he had approached?

‘Sang!’ Nathan exclaimed and started to round the desk. 

Gabriel’s hand reached out slightly in front of me and I decided Gabriel was my tree.  Sliding half behind him I tried for a light airy voice ‘Hi Nathan, fancy seeing you here.’

That sounded so contrived.  I straightened my skirt and stepped out to the side.   Maybe he was a client and I could call someone he was looking for.  ‘Can I help you? Are you looking for anyone in particular today?’

He paused in his stride, his blue eyes narrowing in on me. ‘No Sang, I work here.’ 

My mouth formed an ‘oh’ shape.  That didn’t work.  Nathan must be the Nate which Silas had told me about. 

‘Sorry I had to rush out on you the other day, thanks for your help’ I tried. 

I watched as his lips slowly curled.  ‘Sang, are you okay?  That’s all I cared about, not about you running away.’ 

Gabriel’s voice broke in, ‘So you two know each other outside of work?’  there was a hint of gleefulness in his tone. 

‘NO!’ I exclaimed, then realizing how rude I sounded, tried to make it softer. ‘No, we just bumped into each other on the weekend and Nathan kindly helped me with something.’

Giving Nathan a small smile and nod I picked up my notebook and pen and turned to Gabriel.  ‘What was it you needed me for?  I’m free now.’

Gabriel’s blue eyes looked over my flushed face and tightly held notebook.  Looking back up to my eyes he slowly held out his hand, watching me.  Challenging me.  I grasped his hand and waited.

Nathan turned and looked at Gabriel.  He seemed to be somehow communicating with him, like Kota and Victor had.  This was their family.  Their ability to read each other reminded me how I would never be a part of this family, or any other. 

Gabriel raised a brow ‘You coming to see how the outfits turned out?  Sang’s been kind enough to agree to model the dresses for us.’

Horror filled me, what had I gotten myself into?  Trying on dresses with two guys wanting to see the finished product?  How did keeping my head down and trying to be professional get me into this?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.