Chapter 5 - Silas

Start from the beginning

Silas stepped back and indicated with his hand for me come into the room.   He pulled out another chair from the desk and held it out for me.  I carefully sat on the edge of it then looked up at him towering over me.  He looked down at me sitting in the chair for a long moment then sat down beside. 

Kota stepped behind me.  ‘Are you right here with Silas for a while Sang?  He’ll show you the basics in here and maybe even share some of his precious paperwork with you.  I’ll be in my office if you need anything. I’ll get you organized in reception after lunch.’

I nodded my head with a smile. 

Victor smiled and waved, following Kota out the door.

Silas moved closer, taking my attention.  Picking up a pen he began to point out the various screens, what security surveillance jobs they were currently involved in and what that entailed.   

I stared at the screens.  The bottom right screen showed the reception.  When I worked there I would be under constant surveillance.    Silas followed my gaze.  ‘We don’t usually have any problems here but if anyone ever comes in and makes you feel uncomfortable, we are always here.  There is a panic button under the desk you can use as well which will alert us in here if we haven’t already noticed.  Kota will explain it to you after lunch when he gets you sorted with reception.’ 

He leaned across me and picked up the top piece of paper off his stack.  ‘Now for the dread paperwork.’

We worked together going through the pile.  He explained everything to me with an economy of words.  I felt a sense of accomplishment as I gradually worked my way through the pile, interrupting Silas for any queries.   I had already decided that I loved my job.  I had only just started working but the feel of the office, the members of the team I had met so far, it was good.  The camera surveillance actually made me feel safe.  That I wouldn’t be alone, even if it was just in office hours. 

The paperwork soon became rote.  It wasn’t difficult but sometimes tedious.  I was happy to finally feel like I was earning my keep. 

I wondered how many others worked here.  If the control room was manned 24/7 there must be a few.  Kota had said that most of the team was out today.  How many more were there?  Would they be as welcoming and relaxed? I glanced across to Silas.  We had settled into a comfortable silence.  Silas kept a close watch on the screens and would on an occasion zoom in to double check things.

My first impression of Silas was terrifying.  Yet once I got over my initial horror of his hug, he made me feel the most relaxed.  Safe even.  He was, by far, the biggest and most intimidating looking yet I didn’t feel tongue-tied or any obligation to try to carry on a conversation.  ‘So Silas,’ I looked across to see him already focused on me ‘who else works here?  Is there many more people here I haven’t met yet?’

He gazed back at the screens for a while then turned back with a grin.  ‘You’ve met Kota and Victor obviously.  Anyone else as yet?’

‘No, apparently most of the team is out today?’

He nodded his head.  His dark eyes gleaming at me.  ‘There are four others who are permanent members of the team.  North, Luke, Nate and Gabriel.  There are a few part-timers who come in and help man the control room.  It keeps the hours more reasonable for us.  They’re mainly night shift and weekends.  You probably won’t see much of them.’

At least four others?  That wasn’t too many.  I tried to think of what roles they would take on.  More like Silas, obvious strength and intimidation or Victor?   When would I meet them all?  It must be hard to get them altogether between the shifts in the control room and bounty hunting. 

‘We’ve been together a long time’ Silas started, ‘we’re more like a family than workmates.’

A family? I was working with a family?  In all my jobs and all my experiences I knew nothing about a family.  Nothing good.  Would I be an unwelcome intrusion?  Would they be able to see that I didn’t fit in?  It explained how they seemed so comfortable to tease each other.  Being able to understand what the other person was thinking.  What would you have to have been through to get that kind of familiarity with people?  How long would you have to of known them?

I finished the last of the paperwork with a flourish.  ‘Done!’ I sang out.  Silas turned to me, his eyes glinting in the light.  ‘Thanks Aggele mou.’  I saw his gaze stop and zero in on my lip.  Frustration washed over me.  Please don’t notice.  I had carefully applied makeup out of my precious stash to hide any evidence of my bruises and graze.  A split lip is always hard to hide though. 

Turning my head away from him I frantically searched my mind for a distraction.  ‘Is there anything else I can do to help out in here?’

Silas turned and grabbed a navy blue mug from the desk.  ‘Would you mind grabbing me another coffee?  I have another hour to do in here before I’m relieved and I can’t leave the room.  Otherwise you can keep me company or I can see if Victor’s got something for you.’

I stood up grabbing the mug.  Another thing I could do.  It was becoming obvious that either their previous receptionist did absolutely nothing or they had had to do without one for so long they didn’t remember what the job involved anymore.  I could only make myself indispensible because I wanted this job.  I didn’t want to lose it.   

Quickly making the coffee I walked back and knocked randomly on the control room door.  It slid open immediately.  Silas was facing the screen talking quickly into his phone.  He smiled and gestured to the desk. 

I carefully placed the mug down beside him and hesitated, unsure what to do next.  Should I go and find Victor?  I didn’t want to be a nuisance if Silas was busy.  His hand shot out and gently encircled my arm near my elbow.  He slid it down until his fingers closed around my wrist, holding it while finishing his call.  I stood there quietly, looking down at his strong fingers.  Why didn’t my instincts kick in?  He was essentially holding my arm, why didn’t it scare me?

‘-he just entered the building through the backdoor now, call me once you’ve established contact’ he finished, before pressing the end call button. 

‘I’m going to be tied up here for a while now Sang, Victor’s going to be taking you for lunch.  I probably won’t see you again today but thanks for all your help in here.  You’re welcome to keep me company anytime I’m here because, without you, it’s boring as hell.’

My face split into a grin.  ‘No problem’

A knock sounded on the door and Silas turned, releasing my wrist and pointed to a screen.  I could see Victor standing outside the door.  Picking up my hand Silas guided it across the desk and pushed my fingers down on a round green button.  The door slid open revealing Victor.