Chapter 15

The Curator interrupted our moment and said, "Which would be located not far to the east of the Anubis statue."

Rick groaned and said, "Don't tell me we have to go back there."

The curator looked grim, "If we want to kill the creature, yes."

Suddenly, we hear the hundreds of chanting men charge the doorway. Rick shoved Eve over the railing of the window, and Ardeth did the same thing to Luna. The rest of us followed quickly.

Jonathan, once outside, sneaks behind some bushes and starts his convertible and hauls ass over to us. We all jump in and we book it right passed Beni.

Beni shouts, "Imhotep! Imhotep!"

Imhotep looks out of the museum window and he and I make eye contact, and he doesn't look angry at me, only intrigued.

Rick is angry and yells, "You're gonna get yours Beni! You're gonna get yours!"

Jonathan hauls ass down the narrow bazaar street. Crazies start jumping out of stalls and leaping onto the car. Rick and the others fight them off, throwing them overboard. More people jump onto the car and Jonathan swerves the car, crashes through some stalls and knocking them off; but not before they manage to open the back door and yank the American out. He tumbles across the pavement, gets up shooting and is backed into a corner. He keeps firing his pistol into the hideous rabble, killing several of them and keeping them at bay. His gun goes empty and he looks at the mob in fear. But the mob stays back, looking at him like rabid vultures. The American eyes them, filled with terror.

The mob parts like the red sea as Imhotep walks through them and up to him, making it so we can't see what's happening. Soon, all we heard was his scream.

The convertible slowly motors down the narrow alleys. All of us are staring out the front windshield, freaked-out. Then suddenly one of the hideous ghouls crashes through the windshield! Everybody screams. Jonathan hits the gas, loses control and the car slams into a wall. Rick grabs Evelyn, and Ardeth grabs Luna, and everyone exits.

Rick yells, "Come on! Come on let's go!"

The angry, festering mob quickly surrounds them. Rick quickly reaches into his gunny-sack, pulls out a stick of dynamite, then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a match. He looks around for a way to light it, then reaches over and strikes it across Ardeth's stubbly face. He yelps and Rick holds the lit match near the fuse.

The crazed, chanting mob gives Rick a wide berth, staring at him and the others with insane, bloodshot eyes. And then Imhotep steps through. Having fully regenerated, he now looks as young, handsome and muscular as he did the day he was buried alive.

I notice Evelyn stares at him and she whispered, "He's gorgeous."

Rick gives her a flat look and the match burns his fingers. He yelps and throws it down, grabs another match and strikes it across Ardeth's face again. Ardeth once again YELPS and gives Rick a look to kill.

The Curator just shakes his head and says, "He has consummated the curse, now all he need do is raise Anck-su-namun from the dead, then it will be the end of us, and the beginning for them."

Imhotep moves forward, heading right for them. Rick lights the fuse, and Imhotep steps up to Rick and stops, watching the fuse burn down. it's a game of chicken. The tension mounts. The lit fuse is about to vanish inside the stick of dynamite, blowing it up when I lean forward and blow it out. Rick exhales, but keeps his eyes on Imhotep, who extends his hand to Evelyn.

Imhotep speaks, "Koontash dai na."

Beni comes out of nowhere and translates, "Take his hand, and he will spare the others."

I could see Eve hesitate. She first looks at the angry mob, then looks back at Rick. She mumbles, "Any bright ideas?"

Rick looked angry and was gritting his teeth, "I'm working on it."

Eve looks back at Imhotep and starts to reach out her hand. Rick immediately stopped her and said, "Don't do to Evelyn.

She looked sad and said, "I have no choice." Evelyn's trembling hand touches Imhotep's. His hand closes around hers. Nothing happens. Imhotep smiles. Then he looked at me and nodded.

Luna's voice said, "You must go, Harri. Remember, do not interfere... too much."

I sighed, and said, "Yeah. I know." I went over and stood by him, not noticing his intrigued gaze.

He looks back at Eve and says, "Keetah mi pharos, aja nilo, isirlan."

Beni translates again, "Come with me my princess. It is time to make you mine, forever."

I turned to him an fury and said, "For all eternity idiot. Now do us all a favor and Shut. Up."

He cowers away from me and I turned in satisfaction, once again not noticing the way Imhotep was looking at me in appreciation.

But Evelyn did, and she was worried. She looked back at Rick and said sadly, "You better think of something, because if he turns me into a mummy, you're the first one I'm coming after."

Imhotep suddenly notices something. He reaches forward and rips the key out of Jonathan's upper jacket pocket.

Jonathan looks upset and says, "Hey! That's mine!"

Ardeth holds Jonathan back while Imhotep pulls Evelyn and I away. Rick, his face desperate, can't take it anymore, he tries to break free of Ardeth Ray's grip. He screams, "Evelyn!"

Ardeth holds him tightly and says with feeling, "Be calm. There is still time. We can still stop him yet."

Luna pipes in with her dreamy voice and says, "You'll need an airplane."

Rick just looks at her, and you could see when he got it. He gave her a small smile.

The crowd parts for Imhotep, Evelyn and I, and then Imhotep stops and looks back at Rick, yelling, "Pared oos!"

Eve gasps out, "No!"

I look at Beni, who just smiles, and hiss, "Wipe that grin off your face." He immediately does so.

Imhotep steps out of the crowd and says, "It is time to return."

I nodded and backed away. Imhotep looks at me confused and I said, "I'll meet you there." I then turned to Eve and said, "Don't worry. I'll be with you." And then I popped away to Hamunaptra.