Chapter 10

No one knew what to say to that, and suddenly Jonathan screams. We look over at him, and he's holding the warden's pouch.

O'Connell yells, "What?! What is it?!"

Jonathan sucks his finger, then reaches back into the pouch and pulls out a liquor bottle. The top has been chipped off, "Seagrams!" He then smiles at the bottle, "Well, he may have been a stinky fellow... but he had good taste."

Jonathan took a big swig and we all laughed. Suddenly, O'Connell sticks his ear on the sand, and then we hear gunfire coming from the American camp.

O'Connell jumps up and throws the elephant gun to Eve and says, "Stay here!" then runs off to where the gunfire is.

Evelyn immediately gets up and runs after him, with Jonathan shouting, "Evy! Excuse me! But didn't the man just say--!"

I looked at Luna, and she was calm and said, "I'm going to meet him now."

I raised my eyebrow and said, "Want me to come with you?"

She nods, and together we held hands and waited until the gunfire stopped. We head over to the American camp to see men dressed in black, with facial tattoos. O'Connell is holding up a dynamite.

The leader speaks up, "Leave this place... Leave this place or die!"

He looked at everyone and stopped when he set his eyes on Luna. They seemed to communicate for a moment, before Luna walked away toward the back of the city. I followed her.

We met the leader there, and he spoke, "Why have you come here?"

Luna smiled dreamily and said, "To see you."

The man smiled, then looked upset and said, "You could die here. Please... leave."

Luna shook her head and said, "Everything happens for a reason."

The leader looked confused, then looked pleadingly at me, "Please. Please make her leave."

I looked at him sadly and said, "I cannot." He looked down in frustration, and I continued, "If Luna says I have to stay, then stay I must."

He sighs, stepped closer to Luna and said, "My whole life, I have been waiting for you. The gods spoke of a light-haired angel along with her green-eyed companion." He looks at me and says, "They say that you shall heal the world." He then turns back to Luna, "Please, if you stay here you will die."

Luna shook her head and said, "I will not die, and Harri cannot. She has things she has to do, and I must help her."

He gently traced her face with his hand and said, "If he awakens..."

I knew it. Jesus, another one. I sighed and said, "Another one Luna? Really?"

She turns to me with a twinkle in her eye while the man was confused, "You've defeated a no-named man before... why not another one?"

The man's eyes widened, "You have defeated the creature?"

I shook my head and said, "Not...exactly... just someone else that wouldn't stay dead."

He bowed to me and said, "If it is in our power to do so, you have our swords." He then looked toward Luna and said, "We shall see each other again."

Luna nodded, and did something I have never seen her do before. She kissed him! Square on the mouth. He looked shocked and she looked smug and said, "We shall."

He left quickly, and we headed back toward the camp. O'Connell, Eve and Jonathan rushed to us, and Eve said, "We were so worried! Are you both all right?"

I smiled and said, "We hid, and waited for some time before we came out, just in case."

O'Connell nodded, proud and said, "Good girls."

I snorted and said, "We're women, good sir."

O'Connell grins and says, "Oh. I know."

It was late in the evening, and Luna had already fallen asleep. Since I became the Mistress of Death, I no longer slept anymore. I missed my dreams, but I was glad I could no longer have nightmares. I watched in fascination as Eve quickly got drunk, and O'Connell was teaching her how to fight.

She stumbles as she holds the liquor and says, "Unlike my brother, good sir, I know when to say no."

O'Connell takes the bottle from her and polishes it off, then throws it in the fire, "Unlike your brother, Miss, you I don't get. You're a whole new brew."

Evelyn staggers drunkenly and slurs, "I know. You're wondering, what's a place like me, doing in a gal like this?"

O'Connell laughs and says, "Something like that."

Evelyn points to her veins and says, "Egypt is in my blood. My father was a famous explorer. He loved Egypt so much that he married an Egyptian. My mother! Who was quite an adventurer herself."

O'Connell nods and says, "Okay, I get your father, I get your mother and I get your brother. I even get those two over there... but what are you doing here?"

I almost laughed out loud and Eve's outraged expression, "I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure hunter, or a gunfighter! Mister O'Connell. But I'm proud of what I am..."

O'Connell looks amused and says, "And what is that?"

Evelyn plops onto the ground right beside him and smiles crookedly, "I... am a librarian." She then leans in very close to his face and says, "I'm going to kiss you, Mister O'Connell."

O'Connell looks very interested, but says, "No, you're not."

Eve looks confused and said, "I'm not?"

O'Connell smiles and says, "Not unless you call me Rick."

Eve still looks confused and said, "Why would I do that?"

O'Connell shrugs and says, "Because that's my name."

She gives him a goofy smile, and he leans in and kisses her. Her eyes slowly close and she passes out, slumping into his arms. O'Connell looks down on her and just smiles. He gently moves her to her bedding, and slumps onto his own.

He finally sees me and smirked, "Found that funny, did you?"

I laughed quietly and said, "Hilarious." I looked over at Eve and said, "She might not remember when she wakes up."

O'Connell shrugs, salutes me, then passes out. I just watch the stars, wondering what will happen next."