It was the first time he was thinking everything he did again.

Stefan had to talk to Damon and Elena. When he opened his eyes that day, Damon had told him that Katherine was sent back to hell.

He wasn't convinced with Katherine being on loose but at the same time, the hope in Aliza's eyes made him want to believe that Katherine was capable of starting over without any malice.

What she did was save herself.

The words rang in his head. When he met Katherine, she had been playful and enigmatic. He was charmed by her, curious to know her more. Later on, thinking that he was in love with her, he had been young and naive.

Though she did tell him that she loved him. Stefan still doubted those words, having gone through so much because of that woman.

'This is not what your life should've been....Your mother loves you.'

That had been the moment, he couldn't deny when he saw a much more human side of Katherine. The motherly gaze as she stroked Nadia's hair, describing to her what their perfect day would've been. Even though it was simple, the look on Nadia's face made it seem like a magical dream that could never come true.

Katherine could've hurt Aliza to make sure she couldn't inform about her release to anyone and then later surprise them with revenge. But she didn't. Katherine helped Aliza get the sword and just parted ways after saying goodbye.

Katherine wasn't your enemy, she was your victim.

"Hey, Stefan!" Elena's voice came through the phone, "I was jus-"

"Why didn't you tell me Katherine is still alive?"

Elena was silent.

"Damn it, Elena!" Stefan cursed, "Answer me!"

"How do you know that?" Damon's voice was now heard.

"That's not the answer to my question, Damon," He said, "Why didn't you tell me that Katherine is alive all this time?"

"Why does it matter?" Damon asked, "What matters is that the bitch stays-"

"Katherine is free,"

"What?"

"Katherine is free," Stefan repeated.

"What do you mean she is free?" Damon yelled, "No one can enter that tomb! It's covered in black magic!"

Stefan pinched the bridge of his nose, not knowing how to describe this situation to his brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dearest Elijah,

I have lost count of how many years it has been since you left me. I'm pretty sure by the time you start reading this letter, I will already be on my way out of Mystic Falls after compelling someone to give me a ride.

I have spent almost my entire life just surviving. Did you know I had a daughter? Her name was Nadia, I had her when I was eighteen. She spent almost 500 hundred years searching for me. She stayed by my side when I had no one but eventually I lost her too.

And I am tired, Elijah. I am tired of being this way that even now I have no idea what to do with this second chance that I am getting which I know I don't really deserve.

When I was dying, I saw you. You came and sat next to me on the bed, I reached out to touch you and it was so real. It was the first time in a while when I experienced true joy. And I kept thinking in that moment that you're here, that you didn't abandon me like all those people I loved.