Chapter 10: The Land Where a Hero Once Lived

Почніть із самого початку

        "Why so suddenly? Not you too?!" Tazuna shouted in disbelief.

        "Tazuna, I've had a bond with you since the old days. I'd like to cooperate, but if we push it too far, Gato will set his sights on us, too."

        Tazuna only narrowed his eyes.

        "Also, if you get killed, everything is lost! Why don't you just stop building the bridge?" Giichi asked, sounding defeated.

        You had long stopped spinning your kunai since this conversation started. Sakura looked up at the two old friends who were working on the bridge, her hands still giving chakra to the fish.

        "Not a chance. This is our bridge. This is the bridge that everyone in town had built, believing that it would generate distribution and transportation for this poor Land of Waves that has few resources."

        "But if it goes so far as to take our lives..."

        There was a tense silence between the two before Tazuna broke it as he stepped around the other.

        "It's already afternoon... Let's call it a day."

        "Tazuna!" Giichi desperately called after him.

        "Giichi, you don't have to come back tomorrow."

        The fish exploded again. However, neither of you two girls paid it any mind as your eyes wordlessly trailed after the bridge builder.

-------

        You walked a little ways behind Sakura and Tazuna through the marketplace of the village. Sakura gazed around confused.

        "Ne, where are we going?"

        "I was asked to get some ingredients for dinner on the way home."

        A man ambled past you holding a sign that read 'Will do any kind of work'. A faint shout of 'Theif!' was heard as a boy ran away, bumping into you and running into an alleyway. You walked past two kids who sat pitifully on the ground. Your eyes dimmed with sadness. Seeing this on a screen was one thing, but seeing it in person was another.

        "We're here..." Tazuna announced as you entered a small store.

        "Welcome..."

        The shelves were empty, only a few vegetables laid in the otherwise bare store. But even the vegetables were not in a good state. A man walked behind Sakura and reached for her bag which was at her hips. However, Sakura stiffened, thinking he was touching her butt. She spun around and kicked him in the head.

        "You pervert!"

        "You're... wrong..." he stammered as blood poured out of his nose and teeth flew into the air by the force of the kick.

        You barely blinked at the scene. Tazuna quickly bought the items he needed and ushered you both out of the store.

        "Man, I was really surprised earlier," he chuckled.

        "What's going on with this town?!" Sakura exclaimed exasperated and annoyed. Suddenly, another hand gripped her hip. Sakura stopped with an annoyed expression and whirled around to face the perpetrator. "Hey, you!"

        However, instead of a perverted man, she faced a small boy. His hair was unkempt and overgrown, and his face was dirty. But still, he had a bright, hopeful expression as he gazed up at the pink-haired girl.