Chapter 10: The Land Where a Hero Once Lived

A scream rang out through the forest as blood splattered to the floor. You stared down at Sakura emotionlessly as she clutched her chest and glared at you with eyes full of tears.

        "How could you?" she whispered. You resisted the urge to roll your eyes.

        "Stop being so overdramatic."

        "Overdramatic?! I'm being overdramatic?! You killed that poor innocent rabbit!"

        "I told you already. It's not dead. Just on the verge of death."

        Sure enough, a snow-white rabbit laid in a pool of its own blood on the ground before you. It gasped for breath and shivered under your cold stare. Sakura rushed over and cradled the rabbit on her lap. You groaned internally.

        "Sakura, if you don't do anything, it surely will die."

        She screeched and began panicking. You sighed and approached her, carefully removing the rabbit from her lap and to the ground. You positioned her hands above it.

        "What I'm about to teach you is Iryo Ninjutsu (Medical Ninjutsu). This training could take months to perfect, so don't worry about not being able to revive it on your first try. I'm only going to be teaching you the basics. Someone else could teach you the more advanced parts of it. Iryo Ninjutsu requires precise chakra control, or else you would end up doing more harm than help. The way to revive a dying animal is to stimulate the heart or brain with chakra."

        "..."

        "..."

        "...Nani?! That's all you're telling me?!"

        "You learn best by doing."

        Sakura groaned but heeded your words. Soon, her hands were engulfed with the same green light that your hands had glowed when you were healing Kakashi. She furrowed her brows as she concentrated.

        Needless to say, the rabbit did not survive.

-------

        You sat on Tazuna's bridge, spinning a kunai knife around your index finger and watching the men work. Sakura was seated beside you as she attempted to heal a fish that became the next victim to you. Her brows creased together more as she subconsciously added more chakra than needed. The fish exploded. Sakura shrieked as she scrambled backward. You threw your kunai into the water beneath you before hopping over the bridge to retrieve it and the next fish it impaled. You climbed back up and wordlessly presented it to Sakura. She whined in protest, but she took it, nevertheless. You resumed spinning your kunai on your finger.

        "What happened to that blonde boy and that stuck-up boy?" Tazuna asked as he walked by with a metal beam resting upon his shoulder.

        "They're in the middle of the tree-climbing training," Sakura replied, not taking her eyes off of the fish she was healing.

        "You don't have to do that?"

        "We finished it so Kakashi-sensei told us to guard you."

        The fish exploded again, and Sakura groaned in frustration. You gave her another fish. A man walked up to Tazuna, who was placing down the metal beam on the ground.

        "You got a minute, Tazuna?"

        "Huh? What's up, Giichi?"

        "Uh, actually... I gave it a lot of thought. Building this bridge... will you let me quit?"