Chapter 17: The Day Before the Battle for Shiganshina

Start from the beginning

Annie didn't move or say anything as she only remembered that day at Trost. When she followed Reiner's orders to take away Marco's gear and leave him to die at the hands and jaws of a titan.

Naruto had a more serious look now and he quickly got out of his bed and speed walked over to Annie's side. He got to the side she was facing and she lifted her head up to see the look of seriousness he had.

"Annie, what the hell are you talking about!?!?"he firmly said as he grabbed her shoulders tightly.

Annie looked at him and Naruto noticed that she was on the verge of crying.

"Annie....what did you mean when you said again?"he said a bit calmer but it wasn't that noticeable.

Annie just looked at him, tears started to form in her eyes as that guilt started to build up and she started talking.

"I....me...Reiner....and Bertholdt....were the cause....of....Marco's death...."she said as a single tear slid down her cheek.

Naruto's eyes widened in shock and he slowly backed away and let go of her shoulders.

"You...killed him."he said slowly

Annie didn't say anything back as she just stared Naruto in the eyes. He didn't even need a worded answer because the look in her eyes showed everything. The sadness and the guilt.

He averted her gaze and looked at the floor as pure silence filled the room.

"I-I'm sorry....."was all Annie could mutter

Naruto shut his eyes tightly and then speed walked out of the room leaving Annie there who was trying to hold back her tears but only let out a few. As he left the room Annie wrapped herself in her blanket and laid on her stomach her head in her pillow but not completely so that her eye could look down at the floor. Tears hit the floor as they slowly slid down her cheeks remembering the pleas of Marco still fresh in her mind.

Naruto made it into the bathroom and he got to the sink and put his hands on each side of the sink and looked down as he remembered Jean's words..."Marco is dead." He started to feel a mix of emotions which consisted of anger, sadness, and guilt.

He looked up at the sink to look at himself and then back down at the sink and tightened his grip on the sink. He then turned on the water and put his hands out to wash them and he splashed water on his face.

"Shit."He muttered as he stared down at the sink.

He then lifted his head back up to look at the mirror again and he nearly screamed as he saw his reflection. His reflection had a wide smile and blood red eyes that stared into his blue eyes with malicious intent.

"Hey there."His reflection said with a wide smile

"W-who the hell are you?"Naruto said with a some fear in his voice

"What do you mean...I'm you...well more like all those dark feelings and thoughts you have buried away "His reflection said back still with that ear to ear smile

"W-what???"Naruto said backing away but his reflection didn't follow his movements.

"Yea...all that rage, anger, sadness, and guilt you try to bottle up away...it's me."

Naruto wasn't able to say anything and just stared at his reflection with wide eyes as he backed up to the wall in fear.

"No....y-you're not r-r-real."Naruto stumbled finally saying something

"Oh...I'm very real...I am what you run and hide from...you think you are successfully escaping from me, but in reality I'm growing and spreading through your mind silently because you've been bottling up a lot."His reflection stated crossing his arms