Three weeks later

He stands in the decontamination line near the hospital's lobby, there is a wave of new people, although terrifying as it is, Kyle is not the only new guy, there are many like him, new, fresh and inexperienced.

He makes it through and arrives at the dressing area, he opens his bag, gets his gown on, new mask, gloves, face shield, head cap, gets his pen, notepad, and walks into the ER where a nurse wait to hand over her patients "You're here great, the patient in bed six is being transferred to Rochester General, make sure to let the ambulances know we are not receiving any non-covid patients tonight, there are a lot of newbies and the board closed the door of the ER" She looks at him "Are you keeping up?"

"I am" He replies while wiggling his pen

"Good, do you have any questions?" She says

"No, is there anything else"

She claps her hands after squeezing hand sanitizer "No, but you should ask the nurse you'll be rotating with tonight, maybe they assigned something else to him"

"Got it, you have a good night"

The Nurse looks at him "Thank you, and so do you, something tells me you'll need it"

After she leaves, Kyle looks around the ER and spots the other nurse "Sandoval right?"

"Yes, Kyle Sandoval" he responds eagerly

"Good to meet you, the name's Malcolm Holsen, you will cover patients on unit 4 through 10, if you need anything or have any questions don't doubt on asking"

Malcolm leaves Kyle alone as he heads into another area in the ER, Kyle takes a deep breath looks around the ER, and heads to care for his patients.

A crash takes place down in the middle of town and a couple of people were injured, two ambulances come in, and as the paramedics approach the door they find it looked "HEY WHAT THE HELL"

A Resident stands in front of the door "You were told the hospital is not attending non-covid patients tonight, you need to take them to Rochester General"

The paramedic looks at her partner "This is the closest trauma center, if you don't take them they'll die"

"You should've thought of that before coming here even when you were told not to, now, I'm sorry but I don't make the rules I just follow them" The resident replies as she turns around to leave

Kyle stares at what is going down and the resident spots him "I thought you told them not to come"

"I did," Kyle says while taking a deep swallow

The Resident points her index finger in his chest "Than it must not have been well said, if those patients die it's on you"

Kyle looks out the door as the ambulances pull away and other nurses stare at him.

Samantha stands next to him after fixing her mask "Don't listen to her, everyone is overworked, dispatch should've rerouted them, this is not on you"

Kyle takes a deep breath, nods at her, and turns around

Five years later

September 3, 2025
Rochester, New York

Kyle is going over some of his notes when a knock on his door distracts him, he puts a pencil in between the pages and goes to answer it

"Camille, what are you" A hard slap falls on his cheek keeping him from continuing, he looks at her as she stands there death in her eyes

"You have some nerves," She says to him before turning around, leaving him there with her fingers marked on his face

______________________________
Kyle's afterwords for this chapter

"Change is a constant variable in life and although we're taught not to embrace it, it sometimes is necessary, for without there is no growth"
______________________________

*Kyle has officially left his home in the past and jumps right into work. Is this what he thought being a nurse would be like? And have the friends his made cross boundaries?*

Continue reading chapter four of
🗽Abroad Liberty🗽
To find out