Chapter Eleven - Like Mother Like Devil Spawn

Start from the beginning

She's properly crying now, and I groan, shuffling her so that she's over my shoulder, head rested in the crook of my neck while I rub concentric circles on her back, cooing and shushing to settle her. Just across from us, sat at a table are Seb, Collins, Alena, and Jack, Hendrix's right hand man, all grinning like buffoons.

"Lookie here, it's Mr and Mrs Nemesis." Alena says sweetly, earning an equally harrowing glare from both Hendrix and myself. We sit next to one another just beside Collins, opposite the rest. "And whose this?" She asks over the baby which is now screaming bloody murder in my arms. "Lucifer?" She suggests.

I scowl at her; how dare she disrespect my child. Still, I groan when I move her to another position, bouncing her and rocking her which seems to only spur her on. "Holy hell, is it meant to sound like that?" Jack asks over her screams. I scrunch up my face in agony as I bring her closer to my chest.

"Maybe she's hungry?" Alena offers. Hendrix shakes his head and continues to explain that someone who he calls a 'cock sucker' bumped into us.

"Shush baby, come on." I coo, bouncing her again and I hold her against me and swivel slowly. In response, I'm sure just to piss me off, she screams even louder, over the ruckus of the cafeteria, pulling some rather disgruntled looks our way.

"She's certainly got her mother's attitude." Hendrix says through a grimace as he watches me.

"Oh, sorry!" I say through a mocking laugh. "Go for it then dad, you try!" I thrust the baby to him, and he rocks her awkwardly, not at all ceasing her outrage. "Not so easy, is it, daddy Hendrix?"

"Stop trying to prove your point and look in the bag for a plug!" He seethes, cradling the baby in his arms, bouncing her just like I had. I scowl and begin rifling through the pink satchel, locating a small dummy with a magnet on the end which I place over her lips, instantly stopping the crying. I breathe out in relief and rest my head against Hendrix's shoulder, eyes closed as I promise to never take silence for granted ever again.

We're interrupted when those around us burst into fits of laughter. Alena laughs so hard that noise eventually stops leaving her and she's sat, gasping for air as she wipes away tears. Seb is turning red in the face as he tries to choke back his snorts and both Collins and Jack are equally obnoxious.

"Think this is funny?" I snap at them all. "If you wake her, you're all on auntie and uncle duty." I warn, pointing at them all accusingly. The laughter ceases as quickly as my devil daughter's cries did.

~

Much to my surprise, Hendrix offers me a lift home. I immediately refuse, obviously, still pissed at him for lying to me about the party, but eventually I concede, deciding I'd rather the baby scream in the confines of the car than on the street, in public.

In fairness to her, she's been exceptional since lunch. She woke once for a feed but with a 'full stomach' she was quick off to sleep once again. Of everything, I've had the most fun with dressing her in the grows Mrs Ford has provided us with, making sure her little cute toes are all snuggly and warm. I'm maternal, sue me.

"She needs a name." Hendrix says through a sigh, turning down the radio so it's merely a hum in the background of our conversation.

"Sure. Call her what you want." I reply. He seems to take a minute to ponder, pursing his lips as he does so.

"What about Gamora?" I look at him as though he's ludicrous. "Gamora, from Guardians of the Galaxy? She's hot." He tries to defend.

"She's also green." I retort. He groans at me with a shake of his head and goes back to thinking. "Just pick something simple. Like, I don't know, Abby." He scoffs at me.