Chapter 19: The Trial

Rey's POV

The day of Ezaina's trial arrived. I woke up, expecting so see Ben asleep next to me, but he wasn't there. I thought nothing of it, climbing into a much-needed shower. As the warm water ran over my body, I leaned my head forward and closed my eyes, imagining my scars were being erased along with the dirt on my skin.

"Rey, it's okay," Ben had told me. Oh, how I'd wanted to believe that was true, that everything was okay, that I'd wake up and realize that everything had been a long dream. That I'd wake up next to Ben with his parents and uncle still alive, with my best friend there as well.

But I knew that wasn't going to happen.

"No! It's not okay, Ben! Nothing is ever okay, is it?! Han's gone, Luke's gone, Leia's gone, so many resistance fighters are gone, Finn's gone-"

I turned off the water.
...........

"What do you mean, I can't go?!" I burst.

Ben sighed. "They don't want you going to her trial. Trust me, I'm just as mad." He smirked. "I just about stabbed all of them, but I didn't. You're welcome."

I made a growly sound in the back of my throat. "Maybe you should've. Why can't I go?!"

"They feel you seeing her might...cause an unfortunate emotional reaction."

I snorted indignantly. "'Unfortunate emotional reaction?'"

He shrugged. "That's what they said. I think what they mean is they don't want to set you off. If it makes you feel any better, they don't want me there either."

I huffed. "I would not be set off. I can remain calm if I want to. I'm not that emotional."

He raised an eyebrow. I punched his arm. "Shut up," I said playfully.

"I didn't even say anything!" He protested.

"I can read your mind, remember?" I knocked on his head. He pushed my hand away.

"Yeah, yeah. I know."

I turned serious again and crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm going."

He slowly grinned. "Well, I don't think I can stop you. And if you're going, I'm going."

I smiled gratefully, rising to my tiptoes and pecking his lips.
...........

We walked together into the room where Ezaina would be tried. It was large and spacious.

I looked around warily, instinctively scanning for enemies. Then I stopped myself, remembering the war was over. I had to tell myself that over and over, to feel safe.

"Rey? Ben?" Connix came walking over. "What are you doing here?"

"What everyone else is doing here. We're going to watch her trial," I stated matter-of-factly.

She looked over her shoulder. "You shouldn't be here. The others— they think you might get upset or something." She winced at her choice of words.

I gave her a look of confusion. "Yeah, I know we're not supposed to be here. What others?"

"The doctors, resistance leaders. They think you're too unstable."

"Oh? Well, where's General Dameron? I bet he'd be fine with our being here?" I retorted. Ben snickered.

She threw up her hands in a gesture of surrender. "Don't kill the messenger. I think he's over by Lando." She pointed to the pair of pilots on the other side of the room, talking solemnly.