I nodded and asked him if she had any visitors recently. Apparently, only Thomas had visited her while she slept. The mention of his name sparked something inside her. The girl would find him. When I pointed this out to Newt, he led me to the Deadheads. According to Newt, the boy had a special spot in the secluded forest. Sure enough, Newt was right. Tommy was sitting down on the leaves and the girl was talking to him. From where I was leaning against a tree trunk, I could hear bits and pieces of the conversations.

"...you don't remember me?" she asked.

Thomas asked her if she knew him with a dumbstruck look. The girl, I think her name was Teresa, made a sound of frustration and threw her arms up. "I don't know! Something about us before the Maze. I just know we're friends, Tom."

Thomas blinked and looked at her. "I like how you call me Tom."

I resisted the urge to smack my palm to my forehead. Thomas was just so goofy and awkward that it made me cringe. If he was ever going to get Teresa, he needed to step up his game.

"That's your name isn't it?" she asked, slowly as if she had misheard him.

"I mean, yeah, but most people call me Thomas. Except Newt and Ellie. They both call me Tommy."

At the sound of my name, she perked up. "Ellie? How is she? I don't know how I know her, it's empty like I said, but I remember some things. All I can remember of her was confusion and anger. I don't think I can do the telepathy thing with her like I can do with you."

Thomas looked up and saw me standing over her shoulder. Teresa must've seen his face and spun around. She was even prettier when she was awake. Her lips were red, her black hair hung around her face in delicate waves, and her eyes were a familiar neon blue. Her face was pale and rosy, but healthy. She had long legs and she was around my height.

"Nice to finally meet you, Teresa," I said, breaking the thick silence.

She nodded and extended her hand. "Same to you, Ellie."

I smiled and introduced Newt. He had his arms crossed and demanded that she talked.

"Fine. I don't know much, just vague impressions. I know that Ellie, Tom, and I were important somehow. We're smart and we came here for a reason. Except you, Ellie, I don't know why you are here. I triggered the Ending, whatever that means. There's one other thing," she informed us, rolling up the sleeve of my- I suppose it was now our- blouse, revealing small print.

Written across her forearm in messy handwriting were the words "WICKED is good." Thomas had a look of recognition, but didn't say anything.

"You said the maze is a code," Thomas added. "Right as you woke up."

"No idea what it all means. When I woke up, it was like an insane asylum. Strange boys hovering over me, a white whirlpool of memories, the world tipping. I tried to grasp a few and that was one. I don't remember what it means."

"How did you get here so fast? Med-jack said you were here one second and gone the next," Newt said.

"Guess he forgot to mention the part where I nailed him in the crotch and sprinted out of there," Teresa replied, smirking. I liked her already.

By now, Alby, Clint, Jeff, and the others had gathered behind us. Newt rolled his eyes and turned to Jeff.

"Congratulations. You're the first to have your butt beaten by a girl."

I swatted him on the shoulder. "You've been beaten by me plenty of times."

I heard a scoff behind me. Alby nudged me out of the way and punched Thomas in the face. Thomas clutched his nose and had barely registered what happened before Alby pounced on him. Thomas thrashed around under the older, stronger boy but it proved to be useless as Alby's fists beat on him. I waited half a second, but Alby didn't stop. He'd kill Thomas if no one stopped him.

I tackled Alby and pinned him to the forest floor. He struggled under me and the muscles in my arms strained to keep him contained. He quit squirming and glared at me. Neither of us wore friendly expressions, the remnants of our bond completely gone.

"Get off me, Ellie! Don't you see what those shuckfaces did? Did you even notice what time it is?" Alby shouted.

I relaxed my hold on him and glanced at my watch. Alby took his chance and swung at me. His forearm connected with the side of my head and sent me tumbling off him. I landed on the dirt with a painful thud. Alby scrambled up and towered over him. Something in his eyes scared me. The Changing had definitely done damage on his brain.

"You think you can hurt me? Next time you pin me down like that, I'll snap your neck," he shouted, fists curled at his sides and his eyes ablaze with anger.

I clenched my teeth and swung my leg out. My boot connected with his shins and he fell. I stood up and placed my boot firmly on his chest.

"Threaten me again and I'll feed you to the Grievers without hesitation. You don't think I will? Try me, Alby. See if I give a damn when you're being ripped to shreds."