08

present time

Eris had decided not to go back to Lucien's penthouse. She hadn't felt pain so terrible in nearly a thousand years and she didn't want to go through an interrogation from Lucien or fake sympathy from Camille. So she did what any normal woman would do, and went to a bar.

"Do you have absinthe?" Eris asked upon entering Rousseau's.

The bartender looked shocked, absinthe wasn't something customers usually asked for. Hesitantly, he shook his head yes.

Smiling through her pained face, she sat down and replied, "Mix it with a bit of water and a sugar cube please."

A mere thirty minutes later, Eris was completely shit faced. She hadn't been so lucid and out of her control since she was held captive a hundred years prior.

Elijah had walked into Rousseau's in hopes of finding a cater for the Thanksgiving feast he was planning the next day, when he found Eris sitting in a booth with a journal in her hands. He had noticed her tear stained cheeks and her puffy eyes, he wondered what had happened to her. Without hesitation, he knocked on the wooden booth to get her attention.

"Evening Elijah," Eris said with a sad smile.

"Can I sit?" The man asked cautiously.

Nodding her head, Elijah moved into the booth. The seating had been a crescent shape with the walls of the booth going to the ceiling. It was private and secluded just as Eris intended to have it.

"What's bothering you E?" Elijah asked whole heartily.

"I see you haven't stopped with your kindness Lijah," Eris said whilst laughing a bit.

Her words made him smile, he had missed her smile.

"I guess I haven't," Elijah responded moving his hand to hers and giving it a squeeze.

"You aren't trying to fix me again are you?" Eris asked quietly and sincerely, pain evident in her voice.

Elijah didn't know how to combat her question, he had just wanted to speak with her and understand what had saddened her. His face was ridden with confusion.

"I have always admired that about you Lijah," Eris looked to him, "how you always seem to find the best in situations, how moral you are, how you always want others to be happy,"

Elijah was speechless, she knew she had avoided him and his family during her entire stay in New Orleans. He didn't expect her to say such wholesome things.

"I think that's why I was so much closer with Kol and Finn, rather than you and Bex. Whenever I was sad, they never tried to fix me, they just sat with me in the darkness and let me sink in my own sorrow." Her voice cracked and more tears fell from her gorgeous eyes.

"I wish they were here you know, I wish I would've spent more time with them. They deserved so much more Elijah-" her voice hitched and her grip on his hand became tighter. "I should've came back Elijah, I should've come for Finn. I owed him that much, I- I should've done more."

Her words of self hatred and guilt towards his brothers made Elijah shed a few tears as-well.
He never got along with them, but he knew he could've done something to free them. He sat closer to her and wrapped his arms around her. He had remembered what she'd said to Niklaus a thousand years ago when he told her of the horrors Mikael had put him through; in my darkest moments, all I ever wanted was to be held.

"Why didn't you then?" Elijah asked in a voice so low it was barely audible.

"I did," she whispered numbly, "You had all moved on, without me." Elijahs face fell and his heart was swarmed with guilt.