53 • Confidence

• Chapter 53 

"If you so much as touch them..." she began and let her eyes fall onto Young-hee's neck that was half-covered by her hair. Cho-a pushed a strand of it behind her shoulder. "I will rip your head off."

Young-hee laughed. "You want to play tough?" she asked. "What makes you so confident?"

Ignoring her, Cho-a stood still between her and the two boys that had gotten up from the bench. She waited for her to say what she had to say and to vent her anger or annoyance or whatever it was.

However, while she was busy ignoring her, Young-hee seemed to get more annoyed by the second. Her eyes slowly started to change colours - dark grey swirls rushing though her brown orbs.

Cho-a always thought that it looked kind of pretty whenever that happened - just not with Young-hee.

Young-hee was ugly inside out. Pretty things didn't make her prettier - she made pretty things ugly.

"Actually, I find it fascinating," Young-hee admitted through an amused grin. "Your brother hates you, your boyfriend's father killed almost your entire family and your wannabe father figure only looks after you out of a sense of duty."

Jeno looked at Jaemin with wide eyes. "Brother?" he asked in a whisper, too quiet for any of the girls to hear him and the only one that did hear him ignored him.

Because Jaemin's eyes were stuck on Cho-a. He might not have been able to see her face, but he was able to see how her posture changed, her body stiffened and how she made her hands into fists, digging her nails deep into her palms.

He subtly took out his phone and made a call - a call that didn't get answered. Frustrated, he tried to call someone else - who didn't answer as well.

"What are they doing?" he mumbled to himself, looking to the side to see if Chenle and Haechan were back yet.

Which they weren't.

"Is there anyone you can really trust?" Young-hee asked curiously, letting her sarcasm shine through. "You can't. That's why your confidence is truly inspiring."

Quietly glaring at the older girl, Cho-a couldn't help the smile that made its way onto her lips. It wasn't amusement but rather an attempt to keep her anger in check.

She threw her head back when she felt a silver shimmer rush through her eyes' warm brown. She stared up at the clear sky and the sky stared back down at her longingly.

She considered whether or not to react to her provocation. She was close to ignoring it.

But then she thought...

why ignore it?

Cho-a exhaled heavily. "Young-hee, as a grim reaper, have you ever wondered what dying feels like?" she asked eventually, before letting her head drop back down. She looked at the older one with a smile who widened her eyes at the unusual colour of her eyes. "Want to find out?"

Not waiting for a reaction, Cho-a swung her arm back, fist clenched and directed towards the grey swirls that looked back at her so arrogantly. She didn't hesitate ere she rushed her fist down at Young-hee who didn't have enough time to react before she was hit once, then twice.

Surprise, Young-hee stumbled back, yet quickly recovered and swiftly returned the favour by charging her clenched fist at Cho-a who wasn't fast enough to dodge before it hit her.

A hand on her painfully pulsating jaw, she took the opportunity to take a step to the side, moving away from Jaemin and Jeno as far as she could. Young-hee followed her right away.