Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Sunday dawned brightly outside the red floral curtains of Samantha's hotel room. She had not seen nor heard from Zachary in three long days. Maybe she had been wrong. Maybe those gentle touches, tender gazes, and softly spoken words hadn't meant to him what she had thought they had. Maybe she had been wrong to think that he might possibly be someone she could begin to build a future with.

Maybe the man was just busy.

Rising from bed, Samantha slid from her night clothes and began to dress for the day. She had nowhere to go and nothing to do when she got there. Thursday she had spent the day locked up in her hotel room staring out the window as rivers of rain had run in rivulets down the panes.

Friday and Saturday had been spent working at the post office, learning her role at the job and also feeling her heart nearly beat out of her chest when unfamiliar faces would walk in—perhaps she shouldn't be working so out in the open where Clinton or his men could find her. Then again, she could not possibly simply hide herself the rest of her life—what kind of life would that be?

Samantha could only hope that Clinton Matthews had finally given up on his obsession with her and she would never see his scarred face or ice blue eyes again.

Slipping into her black skirt and red blouse, Samantha clipped her red curls away from her face, allowing them to hang down her back and have their freedom—most days that was easier than attempting to tame them. Making her way downstairs, Samantha ordered breakfast from the hotel diner and enjoyed her meal alone in a back booth.

Stepping into the sunlight and feeling the warm spring breeze blow across her face, Samantha decided what her plans were for the day. Athena had been cooped up in the livery for three days and she knew the horse would be craving a bit of exercise. Samantha had not gone on a ride simply for the sheer enjoyment of it in a long while. Today was a beautiful day to do just that.

Samantha was heading for the livery when she saw heard footsteps coming up behind her. Tensing and ready to run if necessary, Samantha spun around quickly. Timothy was standing there smiling, raising his hands in surrender—causing Samantha to realize she had been prepared to strike him.

His green eyes sparkled. "You're just as jumpy as your feller."

Samantha frowned. "My feller?"

"Tall, dark, moody? You remember him, don't you?"

Her gaze went skyward before she responded. "Just barely. I haven't seen or heard from him in days." She quickly cleared her throat and averted her gaze.

"He's been busy working," Timothy acknowledged. "And missing you."

Samantha cursed under her breath, knowing that he would be able to see the color that rose in her cheeks. She smoothed out her blouse and changed the subject from how badly Zachary may or may not have missed her. "How are you and Zachary friends? You seem so very different."

Timothy's laughter rang out. "Yeah I reckon we are. We've known one another since we were real young. I didn't have the best home life and his family became my family." Timothy shrugged as he watched a wagon load of wood go down the street. "We weren't quite so different then. Life has changed him."

Quiet fell over them. Samantha swallowed hard. Life certainly had a way of doing just that to people. Timothy cleared his throat and clapped his hands together. "So, what were your plans today?"