chapter 3

Loki eventually fell asleep by my lullaby

Loki eventually fell asleep by my lullaby. I tried not to wake him when dragging him back into bed, and to my relief he didn't.

Exhausted, after dragging the god back into bed, I fell down next to him. He looked so peaceful while sleeping. Through many years, I'd always loved to watch him drift off into sleep.

Not in a creepy way, but in a loving way. I loved the way his mouth opened with only a centimeter, the sound of his quiet snoring, watching his chest rise up and down to his breathing.

I loved knowing he was safe.

I let my hand fall onto his cheek, and caressed his cheek gently.

After a few hours, I couldn't fall asleep. My mind was wandering, and I couldn't stop the thoughts from running around in my head.

This felt like a dream, and I couldn't understand that it was actually real. It felt like my head was about to explode, so I slowly got up from bed.

I felt a tight grip on my wrist, and a low whisper in the dark.

"Please don't leave me."

I turned my head around and saw a tired Loki. "Sorry I woke you up," I said and turned all the way around.

"Please stay," he said in a groggy and sad voice, louder this time, ignoring my apology. He pulled my wrist towards him, and the rest of my body followed.

"Of course Loki," I smiled back gently, "always."

But Loki didn't smile. He just started at me. suddenly he looked like a child, scared of me leaving him inside of that dark closet while playing hide and seek.

I crawled back into bed and snuggled into his chest. Loki kissed the top of my head, and then buried his face into my hair. "Never leave me Frey, please."

I smiled and brought my face away from his chest, and looked up at him. "I won't. I promise,". Loki smiled down at me, his eyes were filled with sadness.

"I am never leaving you," I whispered, just to make it clear. Then I turned my head upwards and kissed his lips deeply.

-

When I woke up the next day, Loki wasn't beside me. I decided to get up and look after him, so I put on the same dress from yesterday and walked out of his chamber. I started walking down the golden corridors. The walls were shining with gold and shiny paintings. I loved to admire the art that were put up at the walls, but I didn't really care about the art today.

Eventually I got to the big portrait of Odin, Frigga, Thor and Loki. Loki and Thor were only children, holding around each other, with Frigga having a hand on each of their shoulders. Over them, Odin sat on the throne with his golden helmet. Above everyone else, as usual.

But I wasn't alone looking at the painting. Thor was looking up at his family, arms crossed, while chuckling.

"Ironic, isn't it?" he asked.