"Good because I'm not letting you go now." He whispers, a big, goofy grin on his face and I laugh.

"You're the sun, remember? I can't live without you anyway." I say, stroking a strand of his hair back and he closes his eyes.

"If I'm the sun, then you are the entire universe." He tells me, staring at me with the purest look in his eyes. I smile, capturing his lips with mine. His lips are sweet and warm and intoxicating. I could kiss him my entire life.

"Since when did we become such a cheesy fucking couple." I snap in frustration, attempting to sit up in bed and his laughter warms me. "I'm serious. We went from screaming at each other to now confessing the corniest things."

"Do you want me to say I hate you instead?" He says mischievously and I nod,biting my lip. He leans his face closer to mine. "Fine. I hate you so much that I can't think about anything else. I hate you so much that I can barely look at you."

"That's much better." I giggle. The door swings open and Brooke, Ben, Cooper and Caspian walk through the door. They are all distracted in a conversation but it is such a relief to see them. Brooke looks up at me and freezes. Then she bursts into tears.

"You're okay, thank fuck you're okay." Brooke cries, launching herself at me and I groan in pain. She apologises but doesn't let go of me. "How could you leave me with these boys for so long? Do you have any idea what it is like?"

"It's not like I had a choice, Brooke." I tease but return her hug with one arm. She releases me, wiping her tears furiously. Cooper does the same, his own tears pouring down his cheeks. Caspian smiles happily. Ben tries to act cool and unfazed but then he finally gives in and hugs me tighter than the others do. "That's enough hugs."

"Absolutely not. You have to get used to a lot of hugs from now on." Cooper says sternly and I roll my eyes. They all crowd my bed, rambling about random things that I don't care about but I appreciate the company. The drugs make me feels relaxed and mellow but I fight against sleep.

The doctor comes in to check on me once he realises I'm awake and tells me that I will have to stay in hospital for the next few weeks. I groan because all I want to do is go home and lie in my bed.

Brooke tells me all about prom plans and school gossip, clinging on to me. Ben makes cocky remarks but I notice the way Ben and Brooke are looking at each other with moony eyes. They must be officially together now but I don't ask. Caspian and Cooper tell me all about football and their scholarships. Will doesn't say anything, he just watches me with a small smile.

"So, I don't want to bring up bad things but what is happening with the father situation?" I ask hesitantly. Ben and Will exchange a look but it isn't tense anymore.

"Ben and I are fine." Will tells me. "We solved our issues. I went back to my house, shouted at my father and told him to go to hell. Mother cried a lot and told me she was sorry but I told them that I am packing my stuff and moving out. I don't care about the money but she is willing to pay for me anyway."

"So you aren't going back there?" I ask, relief in my voice but also sadness. Will doesn't look broken or sad.

"No, I'm not." He says. "I hate Nicholas and although I appreciate him bringing me up, I don't want to see him again. My mother is a coward and so I don't want to see her either."

"What about Barnaby?" I ask, flickering to Ben but he remains blank. Will sighs, wiping his face with his hand.

"I don't know yet. For now, I'm going to take it one step at a time." He says slowly and I smile. Cooper turns his head to look at Will, eyebrows raised.

"Since when did you become so sensible and mature?" Cooper asks incredulously, causing the rest of us to laugh and Will rolls his eyes.

The door swings open again and Mother walks in, head held high and confidence radiating from her. I scowl and my friends glare up at her, especially Will.

"Can I have a moment alone with my daughter?" She asks but it sounds more like an order. My friends frown and turn to me. I hesitate before giving them a hesitant nod and they all leave.

"We will be right outside." Will tells me but I can tell he aims his threatening words at my Mother. He places a quick, feather kiss against my forehead before leaving.

Mother waits until the door shuts before standing in front of my bed. She fiddles with the bar awkwardly and I sigh. I haven't spoken to Mother since before I passed out in school.

"I was so worried about you and I..." mother pleads desperately, screwing up her face but I roll my eyes.

"Don't." I snap and she raises her eyebrows in surprise. "You heard about me passing out due to hunger and yet you never came. You never asked if I was okay and it is very doubtful that you care about me at all."

"That is ridiculous, you only fainted. I'm here now, aren't I?" She snaps grumpily, staring at me as if I'm in the wrong. I shake my head. I never should have let her back in my life. In her eyes, I'm never doing anything right. I'm always too fat or too smart or too dumb or too underdressed or too overdressed. Nothing I ever do will be enough.

Now I understand why my father never wanted me to see her. It is bad enough that she was horrible for the first few years of my life but I can't imagine having her be my mother through my teenage years. I would probably be the insecure queen bee that everyone expects me to be. But I'm not her and I will never be her.

"Why did you come back?" I ask bluntly and she opens her mouth, faking innocence. "No bullshit. I'm tired of your bullshit."

"I came back for you." She pleads but I raise my eyebrows. She pauses, glancing away from me. "My husband and I are also running low on money and to keep up the lifestyle I want, I need money."

There it is. The truth I've wanted all this time. This is why she accepted the money from my father and this is why she came back when father stopped this money. She never wanted me, she wanted money.

I feel hurt but I'm not surprised. Mother may be beautiful and charming but she is also the biggest bitch I've ever met. She never cared about me and before, that would have crushed me. But I don't need her. I never did.

"Goodbye, Mother." I say, casual and simple. She opens her mouth to protest, desperate and eager to win me over but I shake my head. "I'm tired of your lies and manipulations. You came through the door so you know your way out."

"I'm your mother and I..." she begins to protest but Marissa and Father walks through the door, smug smirks on both of their faces.

"You heard your daughter." Father snaps. Mother shouts and screams and protests but eventually she leaves. I never have to see her, or my psycho brother, again.