Viper

When Noah and Garrett were walking through the hallways, they noticed that no one was around. They all must have most likely been at the upper levels of the Hole, preparing for the feast that was due to begin around seven, an hour and a half from them.

"I hope the Deserters are good cooks." Noah said. "I could honestly devour a whole buffalo."

Garrett laughed. "I do like that they sent me some sort of Priest outfit as well. It feels nice to be recognized."

"Yeah, the Priest attire makes sense. But what I don't understand are the necklaces I got. I mean, the dragon makes sense enough, but what's the meaning of the necklace with the eye?"

Noah showed the necklace to Garrett and Garrett examined it.

"Well, for one, the eye's blind. Its pupil is white. So I would hazard the guess that, according to Icarion's tale of the Deserter leaders, that it could be a symbol of the Deserters. Mayhaps their sigil." Garrett said.

Noah nodded. "Then maybe they want to make me feel at home."

"That could be correct, Belroar." A man's voice rang through the halls.

Garrett and Noah looked around for the source, and found him standing next to a wall with one leg lifted and resting on the wall with his sole flat against it.

The man had a wicked smile, which, apart from his nose and skin colour, a light tan, were basically the only features visible of his face.

For his eyes were hidden behind red round goggles, and the sides of his face concealed behind pieces of white cloth that came down from under the turban that hid the upper part of his head.

He also had scarves covering his neck, and his clothing consisted of a short-sleeved shirt, the colour of the midnight sky, and long pants of the same colour reaching down to his feet, which were clad in leather boots.

On his belt he had three tubes attached, with three different flutes inside them, on his side. His hands were gloved, and the gloves had metal pieces on them and reached to his elbows.

Over his attire he had a long coat on, reaching to his knees, with silver buttons the size of coins on the side, but he left the coat open, and the cuffs of the coat were broad and also had silver coins.

He wasn't exactly wearing the coat, but just had it buttoned at the upper three holes and it hung down his body from his neck, the sleeves of it dangling emptily on both sides of his body.

"Excuse me, sir?" Noah asked politely.

The man was tall, and his appearances gave a chill.

" I said that what you just said could be right, but it doesn't have to be. Maybe, and I am being completely openminded and taking a wild guess, but maybe it could also mean your demise?" The man smirked and put both feet firmly on the ground. " You see, Belroar -"

"The name's Noah Crowshire." Noah interrupted him.

The man seemed taken aback. "Yes yes, Noah the Dragonhost. Anyway, as you've already heard, no doubt, the leaders of the Deserters must be made blind when they come to the throne, and that isn't such a nice faith. So maybe the necklace with the blind eye could mean your unmistakably not-such-a-nice faith." The man grinned, "Noah."

Noah looked at him. "Do you really think so?"

Garrett grabbed Noah by the arm. "Come on, let's go. Don't listen to this man."

Noah wriggled himself free of Garrett's grip. "Do you?" He asked the man.

The man shrugged. "Nah. I sent you those two necklaces. It was just I thought you'd like the two pieces. They look nice, I find."

Noah laughed. "Thanks, sir. I do like them. But could you maybe tell me your name?"

The man turned to leave.

"Call me Viper." He shrugged. "See you at the feast. It better be good, for all the trouble that Eyeless made me go through to be present tonight