The Bench on Amster Green

Hey guys so this is me re-writing the scene where Ruby and LB meet up again on the bench after Bradley's death. Thanks for the suggestion Sivstar30

It was strange to Ruby as she approached the figure sat beneath the tree. The world seemed so full of life. Like none of the bad things that had happened over the last few days were even real. LB raised her hand in greeting and offered a gentle smile but Ruby could see the pain it cause her to make such an expression. Ruby sat beside her but stayed quiet, not quite knowing what to say.
"How are you?" Said the Spectrum 8 boss, the grave from her voice all gone to reveal a soft tone.
"I think I should be the one asking that," said Ruby turning to look at LB. she saw how tired she was. Ruby had never admired anyone more. Somehow after losing the love of her life for the second time, LB still managed to keep her strength.
"Don't worry about me Redfort," she whispered, her voice full of power and yet pain. "I'm used to being alone. In fact I thrive on my own,"
Ruby stayed quiet but LB knew what she was thinking. She placed a hand on her shoulder.
"It's not your fault. Bradley knew what he was doing. He always did,"
Once again Ruby stayed silent.
"As for Hitch," LB continued.
Ruby turned to look at her at that point. Knowing Bradley was dead was killing her but the prospect of losing Hitch in the same 48hours was too much to bear. LB understood and smiled.
"He'll be fine, Ruby,"
"How can you be so sure?" Asked Ruby.
"I've been working with Hitch for 27 years. He's not just my colleague he's my family. The smartest man I've ever known," she smiled. "He's alive and he'll be home soon. Just have faith in him,"
"But what if he's not?" Asked Ruby. "What if he's gone too and then..." she rambled for a few more seconds before LB hushed her.
"You two are so alike," she smiled. "This is exactly how he reacted when you were kidnapped,"
"Really?" Asked Ruby.
"Yes. You're often compared to Bradley but you're so much more like Hitch," she sighed.
"Except I'm reckless and irresponsible and he's not,"
"No, Hitch is just better at hiding it than you are," she laughed at that one. "He's always getting himself into trouble. I think the only reason he still has a job is because I love him too much,"
"Hitch is a troublemaker? I can't see it," she said.
"The kid's a nightmare," LB scoffed. "The amount of times I had to convince Delaware not to fire him... you know what let's not get into it,"
Ruby smiled.
"He'll be alright Ruby, he always is,"
"I don't know how you're so happy," said Ruby, looking at her feet. "He's gone,"
"I know," whispered LB, her voice weak. "But the world won't stop turning because Bradley Baker isn't here. He's been gone for a long time and we survived without him. I refuse to give up on Spectrum just because I don't have him around,"
Ruby nodded.
"It's too cold," stated LB. "go home Redfort and I'll keep you on the loop,"
Ruby nodded and stood. As she walked away, she stopped and turned back.
"LB?"
The woman raised her eyebrows.
"You are the bravest person I've ever known,"
LB smiled properly.
"Ditto," she whispered.

Thanks for reading guys. I know it's quite short but let me know if there are any requests for anything else you want me to write about. Stay safe xxx