Chapter 7: Night raid attack and defense, Part 1

Inside the dense forest, standing orderly are five hundred soldiers. In front of them, there's still this black-clad petite woman. Half a month has gone by. What has changed is — on their young faces, instead of derision and contempt, now there's sincere admiration and submission. Moreover, they all have a more upright posture, robust physique and staunch determination. All of these are due to this seemingly cold woman.

They absolutely cannot lose this night raid battle! If two weeks before, they had no confidence, today two weeks later, they absolutely believe they can win!

Gu Yun gently arched her eyebrow, somewhat ineffably watching them behaving more like fighting cocks than men. Although she also likes to see them high in fighting spirit, but they too don't have to be so overly hyped up this way.

Without a long-winded prologue, Gu Yun said bluntly: "After deliberation, the night raid battle's specifics have been decided. The venue is the garrison camp of the Su family army which is located west of the city. A thousand elite army will be stationed there under the command of Su Ren. The mechanics of the battle are such: Su Ren will place randomly a wooden case in a room inside the camp. This wooden case contains something. Whoever steals the wooden case, wins the battle. The duration is three days. But, if I or Su Yu succeeds anytime before the time limit, the battle immediately ends."

After Gu Yun finished talking, she covertly watched their faces. Strangely, she could not see on anyone's face fear and anxiety. Su Ren guarding the camp with his thousand troops, they don't have any reaction to this fact?

Gu Yun frowned: "Do you think it's that simple?"

"No." A chorus of loud male voices replied immediately.

No? Why then the confident looks on their faces?

Gu Yun is oblivious, these people do not trust themselves, but believe... in her.

Looking to the far right at Ge Jing Yun, Gu Yun coldly inquired: "Ge Jing Yun, what can you say?"

Relatively more cautious now, Ge Jing Yun stepped forward and after a long pause replied in a clear voice: "The other opponent is Su Ren. Guarding the camp are battle-hardened soldiers. The terrain of the camp is unknown to us. Also how many rooms in the camp we do not know. How the troops are distributed within the camp we do not know as well. Stealing the wooden case unnoticed will be more difficult than a direct attack."

Gu Yun nodded and continued to ask: "So, what do you think should be done?"

"Know yourself and know your enemy, and you'll never be defeated.* Regarding the maps needed for the night raid, the camp guards will certainly slack off during the day. This is a good time to approach the camp without easily being discovered. In preparation for the night's infiltration, we should take advantage getting familiar with the terrain around it and also draw a layout of the inside of the camp."

[* from "Art of War", an ancient Chinese military treatise attributed to Sun Tzu, a high-ranking military general, strategist and tactician. Source: Wikipedia]

Well, he makes sense, Gu Yun cheered up and her lips gently lifted. Turning towards the side of Leng Xiao, she asked: "Leng Xiao, what do you think?"

Leng Xiao seemed well prepared as Gu Yun did not have to wait too long for his reply: "There are a thousand elite troops guarding the camp, but our army has only five hundred men. There's a disparity in the military strength. This time we should make use of weapons to enhance our chances in the battle."

"Continue."

Gu Yun's face was devoid of any expression. He could not tell if she's happy or angry. Leng Xiao felt nervous. Secretly he inhaled deeply, with his heart beating fast he continued: "We don't know the situation inside the camp, but all city garrison camps have wall enclosures more than twenty feet tall. When it comes under attack, the guards will have to block the attackers with arrows. But, if we have shields protecting our bodies, accompanied by our own shooting arrows siege, the commander is bound to mobilize more troops to the tower."