"Do not ever use the poppy without guidance," he ordered, "it is a dangerous plant if used incorrectly."

White poppy. Aconite. Almond trees. Manna. Juniper trees. Oleander. The list went on and on. Every little plant or tree we stumbled across, Chiron became a professor. His lectures could carry on for hours if I let him. He also shared plenty about the world I found myself, the customs, cultures, the food. As a woman, I must opt for the "be seen, not heard" model. Women were often sold off in marriage contracts. I was unwed, and an unwed woman wandering around without accompaniment was a problem. One that would get even trickier once Paris became prince.

"Who cares?" I demanded. "Athena doesn't need any chaperone, I sure as hell don't."

"Athena is a goddess," Chiron explained in his annoyingly calm voice. "She is above the laws of man."

Of course she was.

When it came time for bed, Paris's bed (which he kindly offered) was lumpy and rough, thanks to the straw stuffed inside. It was a far cry from the memory foam I was used to. I think I managed to get some sleep between all the tossing and turning because, before long, the loud rooster was cocka-doodle-dooing on the roof above the bed. Of course, it would be right above me.

Now I stood watching the two men carry on about their business and pulled the thin, useless blanket closer around my body. They had provided me with a spare change of clothes that had once belonged to Paris, but the material was just as thin as the blanket. It didn't fit properly either so I used it as pyjamas. The sleeves kept sliding off my shoulders, and I had to cinch the belt tight around my waist, yet I was still swimming in it. The chiton Athena had gifted me was hanging in my room, having just been washed in the river.

Paris glanced over from the sheep pen, and when he noticed I was awake, his smile was tentative. He waved at me to join him. I chewed a hole into my bottom lip, hesitating. Since I first awoke on the farm, he didn't say much to me, only brief, one word responses. I needed help, and he was the only one around who seemed willing to do so, even if he had no idea what he was getting into. Chiron insisted that he was doing this because he wanted to, but he'd been sent to me by Apollo. In some ways, he had no choice to help either.

On top of it all, I was so lonely (Chiron and his droning lectures didn't count) and Paris had this charm that was difficult to resist. I wanted to be next to him at all times.

Besides, nothing catastrophic has happened yet. Maybe I wasn't stepping on any butterflies.

A raven cawed from the roof of the farmhouse.

"Good morning," he smiled as I approached the pen.

"Morning," I mumbled, glancing at the sheep. "Are you taking them out for a walk? Isn't it a little early for that?"

He surprised me with a laugh, and I couldn't help but worry I was hallucinating his warmth. It was still early. I might still be half asleep.

Was it early? The sun wasn't that high in the sky, but I had no idea what time it actually was without my phone. I'd lost track days ago. I only knew periods of time based on the sun. If it was out, it was day time. If the moon was out, it was night.

"They can't stay in the pen all day, so I take them into the fields to graze," he explained. "The earlier, the better since predators are less likely to be lurking about." He paused and chewed his bottom lip. "I was hoping you might join me? We should talk."

I tried to ignore the twist of anxiety in my stomach at the word 'talk.' "Well, since you asked, I could use a walk." Even though that's literally all I've done with Chiron. "You don't have any coffee shops around here, so I can't get my caffeine fix."