α′ - Ena

ONE

The rush of the waves was soothing. The gentle lapping of the water against the sandy beach and the way it foamed just as it surfaced. It was the kind of soothing that you would get from a sleeping sound app, you know? Gentle white noises that got louder with each breath. Weren't they supposed to get quieter? Above a seagull squawked, its shadow passing over me, riding the gentle breeze that carried the salty, ocean aroma. The sun was warm, but in a relaxing way, although its glare was too much considering, I usually closed my curtains before sleep. Not to mention my bed felt oddly lumpy and scratchy. It was a far cry from the memory foam mattress I'd invested in only a couple of months ago—

Hold on...

I never used those white noise apps. Believe it or not, those sounds actually kept me awake, not put me to sleep. Nor was I anywhere near a beach. I lived in the middle of the prairies which, by the way, was frozen solid by Jack Frost. And, even if I were outside, I wouldn't be lying down on the beach. The only beach close to my house was a small, human-made one that really didn't even qualify as a beach because it rested against a pathetic excuse for a lake.

And I hadn't been sleeping.

At least, I don't think I was.

My eyes fluttered open, and I found myself staring up at a clear blue sky with faint wisps of clouds floating along. The waves' rush was more focused now and definitely real. To my left and, as I had that thought, a sharp, wet cold hit my body. It was enough to fully drag me out of my groggy state of mind and into reality.

Reality being an impossible beach, of course.

"What the hell?" I gasped, scrambling to my feet.

Succeeding in their task of dragging me out of my slumber, the waves retreated. I staggered away from the ocean line and glanced around. A heavy, humid breeze brushed my cheeks, tousled my hair. There was so much salt in the air I could taste it. Beyond the beach lay a rocky terrain, with patches of dark green grass, troughs and densely packed trees. Mountains exploded from behind the trees, looming like a great barrier to unknown lands.

This wasn't real. I was having one wicked vivid dream. I was still in my fuzzy, baby blue pyjamas. Even though they were currently sandy, surely that meant I was still sleeping in bed... right? I pinched myself hard enough that I gasped, the pain from it like a needle jab. A red mark swelled on my arm. Well, that didn't work. I slapped my cheeks.

"Shit, shit, shit, wake up," I muttered.

A slow, creeping panic tried to claw its way through me, a heavy lump settling in my stomach. My head swivelled right and then left. And then right again. To my right was the ocean, which lapped lightly with the incoming tide, a swirl of blue, white and green. Despite the raw panic, the sea was pretty, with the way the sun reflected off its surface. It literally sparkled. In the distance, it connected with the blue sky, a straight cut line running through the Earth. Dotting the waters were silhouetted boats and ships, presumably for fishing and recreation. I couldn't make them out too well, but they didn't look like any of the sleek boats I'd seen.

My toes dug into the soft, hot sand, an absent attempt to wake myself up. It was so pristine and untouched; there wasn't even a trace of litter dotting the beach. Another indication I was dreaming. I've been to a beach before, and it wasn't this clean. There was usually litter, annoying seagulls waiting to steal food. And beaches were usually overcrowded with sunburnt tourists and wannabe surfers and kids peeing in the water. My brain was sanitizing the real experience.

I pinched myself again. Nothing changed.

I turned my focus to the surrounding area. Uneven, rocky, and dense with foliage. It was quite pleasant, really, and very quiet. Very old—That's it! I've been cooped up in my house for so long that my imagination took me on an adventure! Totally believable, but how to wake up? Not by standing in front of the sea, pinching myself anyway.