"Please," he shuddered. The image of his beautiful daughter popped into his head as he squeezed his arm tighter. "I have a family to get to."

"I'm sure you do," the Homunculus sighed, scratching the side of its face with its free hand while glancing down at the picture of Maes and his wife and daughter that had fallen to the ground. "But you know far too much, all because of that damn traitor and that Flame Alchemist. Far too many of you know about us now, so... this'll be their warning to keep their mouths shut."

Maes was ready to fight after those words registered in his brain. He had to keep going, to do something to show that his life was valuable- his life was not meaningless. It could not be tossed to the side and stepped on by a creature who thought so little of him.

The Homunculus watched as Maes reached his bloody hand into his holster to retrieve his gun. It hummed, taking a step back and removing the weapon from his head to give him a chance to shoot him. A clear angle.

Maes twisted his body around and gripped his gun, aiming it at the mother of his child. His eyes were glossed over and his breaths were ragged. His head tilted downward to get the best angle, and he was set. The Homunculus and the General faced each other, guns pointed. The Homunculus cocked its brow, holding its weapon stably as Maes' hands shook with hesitation.

That one split second, the smallest look of regret flashing in his eyes cost him everything.

The Homunculus shook its head, basking in its ability to predict Maes' hesitance.

"Humans," he scoffed, pulling the trigger.

As Maes lay in the corner of the booth, bleeding out from his devastating wounds, he cursed himself. He wished he had done more, helped more people. Kissed his wife longer before he went to work that morning. Told his daughter how much Daddy loved her ten times more than he had. Thanked Roy for being the best friend he could ever have. Assured Edward and Alphonse that they would find their original bodies. Given (Y/n) more helpful advice. Commended Shesca for all the hard work she had done on his behalf. Laughed with Armstrong harder than he had before. Fought harder, lived longer.

General Maes Hughes was a good man, one of the best men that had stepped foot into Central City. He was one of the good ones, as people would say. One who would always look for ways he could have done more even after he had done everything he could.

As the light faded from his eyes and he inhaled shakily, he apologized to his family once more for being unable to tell them that everything would be alright one last time. His head slumped to the side, and a long exhale escaped his lips as a silent tear trailed down his cheek.

The trees' leaves shivered and the wind howled in mourning of the good man the world had just lost.

Edward walked close to Alphonse as they traveled into the dark, decrepit hallway that trailed underneath Central Command. They were sure to walk around the permanent blood stains and bone fragments in their path as they tried to ignore the glowing red eyes beaming down on them from above. Edward glared into the back of the head of the large Homunculus that led them deeper down the hall. His name was Gluttony, the one that had been waiting for them at the gate while Bradley did what he could to get Havoc moving. The man had passed out due to blood loss, so the head of the military had to carry him over his shoulder.

"Brother," Alphonse started, causing Edward to look up at him. He could tell that his younger sibling was a little frightened by the way his voice quivered. "Where's the General?"

Edward frowned, a pit forming in his stomach once more. "I'm not sure. I watched him get pulled away by someone, and by someone I mean Envy. At least, I'm pretty sure it was. He's the only Homunculus that can shape shift."