Chapter 15 - Just A Precaution

(Nolan's POV)

When I awoke in the morning, I barely remembered anything that had happened after Micheal's attack. I stared at the ceiling for a while. I was glad to be home. I was glad I could hear better.

For whatever reason, there was some kind of stick tied to my right leg. I rolled over on my left side and realized I was alone in the room.

Suddenly I heard his voice, along with another one.

Lou: ...don't know what to do, Mandy! It's all my fault...

Mandy: Blaming yourself isn't gonna make anything better.

There was a sudden pause. My back had been turned towards them, so they didn't notice I was awake.

Mandy: You did good attaching a stint to his leg. From the looks of it, it might be broken.

Lou: Oh, no...no...

Mandy: Hey. On the positive side, it'll only take a few months to heal.

There was another pause. I could only guess they were looking at me.

Mandy: You need to get him to speak, okay?

Lou: I've tried! B-but it's like he's not even there sometimes!

Mandy: Well, try harder!

Mandy sighed. They were yelling, it's true. But it wasn't out of anger. It was concern and fear.

Mandy: If he doesn't let his anger out...It will continue to build. He's a nice person. He doesn't seem to hate anyone and he always smiles. But that's why it's even more dangerous. He could literally go insane.

Lou: I know...

Mandy:...I can only imagine how much anger he has inside of him. One day, it'll be too much...And he'll snap.

Lou: I know.

This time Lou responded in a firm tone. I didn't quite understand what she meant. Was I dangerous, somehow? Had I hurt someone? I sat up, however Mandy and Lou had already left the room. My legs swung to the side of the bed, and I began to stand. I took one step forward, but fell instead.

I meant to say "ow", but instead, it was just a heavy breath. It was like my voice was completely gone.

Lou: Nolan! Are you okay?

He picked me up and sat me on the bed. I looked at his features in attempt to comfort myself. It's kind of an odd thing, really. His hair sometimes reminded me of a field of yellow. Or his eyes reminded me of the ocean. Both peaceful places. Where you could just close your eyes and not have a single worry.

Lou: I didn't see you wake up. How are you?

I wasn't sure how to respond. Would he feel worse if I said I wanted to die? Would he know I was lying if I said I was alright? It didn't matter. My voice was completely gone. I had no strength left to form words. It almost seemed like a waste of time.

Lou: Nolan, please say something. Anything.

I looked at the floor. I could feel my emotions pleading to be released. I ignored them and focused on my stupid broken leg.

Lou: Nolan. Please.

He stayed there for a long time. Asking me to talk. Asking me how I felt. But I didn't even know how I felt. It was like my mind was flooding with all kinds of negative emotions and ideas. I wanted it to stop. It was almost like voices were polluting my brain. One being overlapped by a dozen others.

Ugly

Useless

Weak

Whore