Prologue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My twin brother, Jacob, is normal. He has blonde hair and grey eyes, looking just like my father. I have red hair and green eyes, like mom. My brother was born two hours before me, in the normal way. I was born in a C-section, and everyone thought I would die, but my mom would live. My mom died due to complications with me. I lived.

 I wonder if it would have been easier to have died before I had a chance to live. Would my dad grieve for a long time, or would he not care because he still had a child and a wife? But it is to late, my family has become attached to me, and would feel terrible if I died. 

At first I was a fairly normal child. I cried, slept, and then cried some more. It wasn't until after my second birthday when I started to act weird. It was normal enough at first, nothing that couldn't be explained by me just being quicker at learning things than the other children. Toys would move from one corner of the room to another when I was alone, but it might have been that I was just walking with them. 

Small things like that continued for years, I would disappear into the forest outside out house for hours and then come out acting like no time had passed. I would talk to people that where not there and when I was angry things would break. Once I found a dead squirrel in the forest, but when I went to close it's eyes it returned back to life.  

I was 9 when something big happened. 

There was this girl in my third grade class that I did not like, Sally Pine. She would take my crayons and would pull my pigtails. She stole my book report and dumped glitter on it and called me a mistake. The teacher would do nothing about it because her parents funded a large part of the school's new playground. I would run home crying to my dad and then the next day she  would trip, fall and split her knee open. 

On May 25 Sally Pine died. It was the second to last day of school and she had somehow managed to convince the class to pour a large container of water on me during field day. The sun was hot so I dried off fairly quickly but I was still upset. I don't remember much except for the feeling of a storm inside of me. 

I could feel someone behind me even though no one was there and I leaned into them and their power.  I closed my eyes and only opened them when I heard the screams. I luckily did not see it happen, but the aftermath was just as bad. Sally's whole body had exploded. I'll spear you the details. 

We were all invited to the funeral, however so many people went that we couldn't even say goodbye if we wished to. 

I told my dad what had happened and he said it wasn't my fault, however the way he looked at me changed that day. He always seemed to have a bit of fear in his eyes. Trying to ensure this wouldn't happen again, my dad moved me and Jacob to the other side of the country, to a rural home in Maine. 

My brother's friends made him a card and promised to visit sometimes. He cried as we drove to the airport. My friends had stopped talking to me after the funeral. 

After the incident it was like my power had been set free. Some nights I would go out and see how much stuff I could levitate at once. My record was two boulders, a tree, a shed and half of the pool water. I didn't have to concentrate anymore to get something to do something other than what it was made for. I would run around at night in the forest, jumping off of rocks and into the river that flowed through our property. 

I went to online school for the next two years while my brother attended the local public school. It was a good fit, he made loads of friends and I don't particularly like people.

I was 11 when I got my letter.