Responsibility

John had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

When he walked to the human village, his intention was to scare them a little to teach them a lesson, not to come back with a small human child.

Humans weren't allowed in this part of the forest, it was his job to make sure they stayed out of it.

.... but what he did was the exact opposite.

Now he was the reason why one of them was here in the first place. The irony was priceless.

He was doing this job for years now, without one single incident....at least until today.
John knew he made a mistake by taking his so-called "sacrifice" with him, but how was he supposed to know this would happen?!

When he saw the human on his daily patrol this morning, he didn't think it would lead to..... this.

He liked his job to be honest. It was easy. His sheer size was enough to keep them away. A threat at most.
So when he saw the intruder all he had to do was to put extra weight into his steps to get rid of them.

He had hoped, that after paying them a short visit his job would be done and he wouldn't have to deal with humans in a while, but of course that would have been too easy.

The humans were supposed to beg for mercy, not to offer him one of their kind as some kind of apologize.

Let alone a child!

He wasn't very fond of humans for several reasons, but today they hit a new low.
And giants were called monsters! Ridiculous! .... At least this way no one would come looking for him.

Taking the child with him may not have been his greatest decision, but he had to play along, otherwise the humans would get suspicious.

That..... and he felt sorry for the boy. John didn't want to leave him there with the same people, who didn't care if he died. He didn't deserve any of this.

Clearly he didn't think this through.

Now he had to deal with a terrified tiny boy.

Noah.

Noah was.... differant to say at least. He didn't act like a human in his situation would normally do. No screaming. No struggling. Nothing.

But despite doing his best at trying to act brave, John could see right through his act.
He felt how hard the boy was shaking when he held him. He felt his rapid  heartbeat under his thump. And his fearful blue eyes tugged at John's heartstrings.

The child was afraid of him. And John didn't blame him.

He was used to it. It was a normal reaction for humans. Even though it was unfounded. Giants didn't just walk around and randomly killed humans, they avoided them even.

Centuries ago giants used to roam the world. Until humans found out about their existence. Now they had to hide, because humans were terrified of them.

And terrified humans weren't known for their great decision making. No, they acted before they thought. So they started to kill giants out of fear. That's when the giants decided to hide.

They tried to talk, they really did, but the humans wouldn't listen. If they wanted to live in peace, they had to avoid humans as best as they could. And if a human happened to cross their path, they pretended to be the monsters, that the humans saw in them. Anything else was pointless.

John could live with being feared, it was necesarry for doing his job. If they weren't scared of him, he would have to take.... more drastic measures to keep them away.

The thought alone made him shudder.

No. John preferred being feared. But what he didn't like about the bad reputation of his kind were the prejudice, that came along with it. He was tired of hearing all the insults....

His personal favorite was "please don't eat me!"

Seriously, who came up with this nonsense?! Why would he eat something, that looked to much like himself? It was disgusting. He hated hearing the same phrase over and over again.
Sadly that was exactly what his little guest thought he was going to do.

John sighed. What was he supposed to do with him? He couldn't bring him back to his village. The risk, that he would lead the entire village to his home was too high.
That left him two other options.

Either he could keep him around or....

The giant shook his head. He didn't want to think about the other option, he knew he couldn't do it anyway.

Maybe it wasn't so bad after all. Sometimes he missed someone to talk to. Maybe the boy could keep him some company.
Although he wasn't sure, if a frightened human child was the best choice for that.
At the moment it looked like the kid didn't want to have anything to do with him.
Of course, he was keeping him here against his will after all.

But there was nothing he could do about their situation now. He just hoped the boy would adjust to his new life soon.

He thought about ways to make him feel more like a guest and less like a prisoner, maybe that would help him to warm up to him.
So he went through his day again. He remembered how lost Noah looked when he sat on his table. So completely out of place.
It looked just..... wrong.

Suddenly John got an idea.

He grabbed a chunk of wood and his knife. Before he started to work, he took a moment to think.

Was he really doing this?

Being responsible for the safety of his kind was one thing, but being responsible for a child was a whole other story.

He looked over his shoulder to see, if didn't just imagine the boy. Maybe he was dreaming all along.
When he did he saw Noah right there where he placed him. Most likely asleep. Something seemed off though. John narrowed his eyes and noticed, that the kid was shivering. Maybe from the cold or out of fear. Maybe both.

Either way John stood up and covered him with a small blanket. When he sat down at his table again, he began to work on his little project, while smiling. A little more confident in his decision.

..... Maybe this really could work out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a mix between a filler chapter and a little background information i guess.
The next chapter will hopefully be better.