A Work of Art

I left Michael stranded on the sidewalk that day. He tried to push me to my highest peak and I wasn't going there. Today I had art class. I'm not very good at it though. Our teacher was explaining the multiple regions of tropical birds so we can make up our mind and choose a bird to draw. Ms.Alchester had a loud voice, I believe she does it on purpose so the whole class can hear.Sometimes I'm not sure if she means to be that loud. "Birds. Birds are beautiful," she does hand movements to 'express herself' as she says it, "Birds are free. Birds can fly anywhere their little hearts desire to! Birds are gorgeous. They are a work of art," she slightly lowered her voice "And you my little darlings, can fly too."

Most of the class was half asleep because they''ve learned how to get used to her voice.

My friend interrupted and  turned to me, "Know how the hell to do this? And I mean make it look good, not like shit," Taylor asks. She's not good at art either but she's way better then me. "Ha, maybe. I don't know but I'll try." I sketch a quick humming bird and a few flowers to add for scenery on a scrap piece of paper. We are supposed to draw and color a bird and add a tropical scenery. "I'm not the best but I try," I pointed out the details I made on the flower petals until I noticed a boy in glasses looking our way, "Hey isn't that Ashton?" I whispered so only she could here, "I think he's checking you out, Tay."

"Yeah, so? We've been friends since 7th. Dude he's like my brother, you know this."

"Hey I'm just saying. You guys would make a cute couple. Together you'd be a 'work of art'," I imitated Ms.Alchester's echoing voice.

She hit my arm and I laughed. Taylor asked how to detail the feathers. I explained that you have to add lines first to show each individual feather. Then I was going to explain more but a pencil got in the way. "You would add a bit of shadowing to show the contrast of the sunlight - which you should draw coming through a palm tree leave around here," Ashton drew a light circle on her paper.

He went on and Taylor glanced at me and I returned a smile. When he was done she thanked him. He gave her a hug from behind, "No problem, but you know since I did you a favour you owe me one too."

"I do?" She wasn't expecting this.

"Yes. Because you aren't going to the dance, you're coming to the band performance. It's next Thursday in the auditorium around 4:45. I'm expecting you to be there." Ashton walked back to his seat and started to pack up. The bell dismisses us in eight minutes.

    "Band performance?" Taylor looked at me, she still saw this as a surprise.

"He's expecting you to be there." I smirked.

The bell rung and I was now off to gym. I haven't spoke to Luke since that one afternoon in detention. He was shy but that's okay by me. I can be shy too sometimes. Everyone can. All of my friends always have something going on in their love life. Whether it's a first boyfriend, first kiss, first time, or first breakup. Those don't even have to be the first time any of it happens. Not much has gone on in my "love life" since I broke up with Michael. Everything between us went good before the sex.

In the past...

Dating; 6 months

I couldn't wait to be dismissed. I thought about Michael all through my Australian history class. Which I was failing because all I knew was American history.
Ding-Ding...Ding-Ding

I pushed though to make my way into the hall where I found my boyfriend. Michael was waiting for me outside the door with a pink rose in his hand. I gasped, "Aw is that for me? Mikey you didn't have to do this." He handed me the rose, "Happy Valentine's Day beautiful," I threw myself at him and he wrapped me into a tight hug, "I saw this and thought of you. Roses are a work of art and so are you." Michael pecked my lips and we walked to class with our hands swinging at our side holding each others.

Back in reality...

     I've day dreamed for too long. I hate flash backs. Even the good ones can bring back painful memories. I was now in reality which is good, but also bad because Michael is in this reality I live in. "KATHERINE! What the poop is that you?" A familiar voice screamed behind me. I turned around to see one of my best friends Julie. "Julie! What the hell are you doing in Australia?" We hugged for almost ten minutes because we haven't seen each other in three years. We've talked over the phone but it's not the same.

"My brother got into a really good college here. My parents made us mover but I'm glad you're here with me."

"Hell yeah, I'm not leaving your side."