Rebirth

After work, I returned to my room to shower off the stench of decaying flesh and to change into my wedding/festival attire

Despite Irene's insistence that a cute summery dress was the best option for the occasion, I ended up with a cute pant suit instead. I simply refused to wear anything that left my thighs bare since I'd be walking several miles while wearing whatever outfit I chose. I'm willing to admit that my constant walking around town had turned my once soft, round shape into that of lean, toned muscle, which included the bonus of a thigh gap. However, I'd felt the burn of chaffed skin too many times before and I wasn't going to risk that pain so early on in my evening.

She tried to convince me that leggings or hose was the solution, but at that point she knew she was fighting a losing battle. I finally squashed her efforts by insisting I get her a summer dress instead as a thank you for accompanying me on our shopping trip and for her assistance with doing my hair and makeup for the night.

It took a bit of coaxing, but despite Irene's polite rejection of the offer, even she couldn't deny her longing for a new outfit. A deal was made and I walked away with a shell pink pair of wide leg cropped pants that sat high on my waist with a bow tie belt. I paired it with a simple white blouse adorned with a modest V-neck and short flutter sleeves. To cap it all off, I snagged a cheap necklace and earring set that featured teardrop zircon crystals.

"You sure I can't convince you to wear almost any other shoe imaginable?" Irene stood behind my shoulder, watching my expression in the mirror of my small bathroom. Despite her belief that I should complete my outfit with a pair of strappy sandals, I had every intention to wear my tried and true walking shoes — grass stains and all.

"The only other shoes I own is another pair of walking shoes — so no."

"But, you look so cute," she said with a sigh before tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "Why ruin it with a pair of dusty sneakers?"

"Are you saying I won't look cute in a pair of sneakers?" I returned her question with a raise of my brow and a playful pinch of my lips.

"Of course not," she said with a roll of her eyes and a small smile. "I just want to see you in a proper ensemble."

"You will later tonight when I get dressed for the masquerade," I said, hopping off the stool we borrowed from the hotel bar. "For now, what you see is what you get. And thanks to you, I think you get a rather sparkly version of me. I didn't know my eyes could look like this."

I leaned over my bathroom counter to better inspect her handiwork. With the help of her skills, she managed to bring out the subtle olive color in my hazel eyes. I didn't know whether it was the thin lines that traced the edges of my eyes, the black mascara that painted the blonde roots of my eyelashes, or the rose gold swept across my eyelids that was responsible for illuminating my eyes, but for the first time my reflection teased me with the image of a woman that I'd always wanted to be.