Chapter 51

***Trigger Warning*** - Sexual assault

There was no getting used to the concept of infinity. Staring at it, seeing it, living in a world that defied all logic, there was no getting used to that. They could no longer see the cliff ledge they were climbing down from, and after god only knew how long they still couldn't see where the staircase was leading them. All there was were steps of black stone leading down, and past the vague outline of these steps, pure and all consuming darkness. It was frightening simply to stand there, but to move was even worse. One slip and they could tumble into that abyss and be lost forever.

Jack could barely keep his mind focused on the task at hand. He tried to keep count of the steps, but he would lose track, his mind would wander. It would go to dark places, the thoughts of the traumas they had already suffered, the anxiety of staring into the emptiness and imagining an eternity of that: falling through the dark, alone, forever.

The only thought that seemed to keep him moving was the thought of escape. If a path out was at the bottom then it was the only way to go. Jack kept himself moving with purpose. Rachel kept moving too, just a few paces behind him. They didn't say much to each other. What was left to say? Jack felt her hesitation and it set his teeth on edge. What was she so hesitant about? Why did she want to stop, after all they had gone through, when freedom was so close? Jack could taste it, and it frightened him that she couldn't. What voices were running through her head? What if she tried to stop him? What if she tried to push him over the edge?

Jack whipped around to Rachel, almost sensing her hands on his back. But her hands weren't there. She was still standing three steps behind, arms crossed over her chest, goose bumps covering her skin. She stopped suddenly as he turned around, nervously looking at him.

"Do you feel it too?" she asked, though Jack had no idea what she meant. Jack stood staring. "The cold? Do you feel it?" Jack saw her breath as she spoke, suddenly noticing he could see his own. Now that she had mentioned it, he realized he was freezing. His body too was covered in goose bumps and his teeth were trembling.

He glanced back down the staircase; it still looked the same, except the steps further away seemed to stand out slightly more. "We must be close now."

"Jack, I don't like this."

"Don't give up on me, we're so close. Just a bit further, whatever we have to go through, it'll be worth it once we escape." Jack stepped a little closer as he said this. He touched a hand to her arm. She felt like ice.

"I'm so cold," she moaned, quivering. Jack was too; it was biting into his core.

"Come here," he said softly. He stepped right next to Rachel so that they were on the same step; each step was roughly three feet wide and half as long, so he wasn't worried about losing balance. Jack wrapped his arms around her, and held her for warmth. She put her arms around his waist too, so their bodies were pressed tight together. Rachel tucked her face into the crook of his neck as he buried his in her hair.

It took some time but as they stood there, Jack felt the chill leaving his body. His skin was still cold to the air, but against Rachel, he started to feel warmth. And there was more than just warmth; it felt nice to feel her body. 

He couldn't believe he'd become so numb to this girl's naked body, beside him through all of this. He had held her before, but had yet to appreciate the feel of her breasts pressed against him, and the soft skin under his hands. He felt himself getting hard, stiffening towards her.

"Jack?" she said tentatively. Jack realized it was the perfect solution, they would keep far warmer, and they would feel pleasure, she would love the feel of him inside her.

"Lie down," he said softly, stepping closer into her, holding her tighter.

"What?"

"I said lie down," he said with more force. He didn't have the words to explain, she just had to do what he said. Jack pushed her back, sending her falling onto the step.

"Jack!" she cried in panic, her hands shooting out to hold onto the sides and stay steady on the stairs. Jack took his place on top of her, now running his hands along her body. "Jack, what are you doing?"

"Trust me," he grunted, wrapping an arm around her waist to hold her tight, while the other explored between her legs.

"Jack, get off of me!" She was struggling a lot now, though also trying to keep herself steady on the steps. She would understand what he was doing in a second, Jack thought; she would see how good it felt. He was still hard; she just needed to stop moving so that he could slide inside.

Then a kick landed. Rachel got one leg between his and kicked hard. As pain shot through Jack's body, Rachel moved her foot up higher and pushed him back. Jack lost hold of her and was sent tumbling back on the steps. He tried to get his footing, but before he could his feet had slid off the edge. He scrambled desperately with his hands, all other thoughts forgotten except fear of the abyss.

Jack managed to keep hold with his arms while his body swung out freely beneath him. He screamed, terrified. He wanted to pull himself up, but was afraid if he moved, he would lose his grip and go tumbling off.

Rachel was sitting up, looking at him with panic stricken eyes.

"Rachel, please help me!" he called out desperately. She tried to send you into the abyss. She wants you gone. "Please don't let me fall!"

Rachel was already moving toward him. She pulled by his arms first, working them into a better position until Jack had hold of the other side of the steps.

"Swing your leg up," she instructed, and he did. Rachel grabbed his leg and pulled the rest of his body onto the steps. Jack gasped deep sighs of relief, feeling the cold stone along his body, supporting him. Rachel slid down a few more steps and stood up to look at him, keeping a distance.

"What were you doing?" she asked with a hurt fury. 

Jack just shook, gasping. He couldn't remember exactly. They had been holding each other for warmth, and it felt nice. They were about to make love, and then...and then she had tried to kick him off the edge. He sat up and looked at Rachel with deep betrayal in his eyes.

"You tried to toss me into oblivion." She shook her head vigorously.

"No...no that's not what I meant to do. You were hurting me, you were trying to..." Jack didn't know what she was talking about. "This place is doing something to you."

"No. It's turning you against me. It wants you to kill me."

"No, I wouldn't! Jack, you have to believe me," she pleaded. But something else had caught Jack's attention. 

A shimmer at the end of the steps; a shimmer through the darkness. A wall, he thought, and a doorway too, right at the end of the steps.

Rachel was crying and the tears were freezing to her face. Jack realized the cold was still biting worse than ever, but it didn't matter. They were at the bottom.

"Look," he said calmly to Rachel, a manic grin spreading across his face as he pointed. Rachel took another step back before glancing slowly over her shoulder. "It's a doorway. We made it." 

Rachel looked back at him nervously.  

"We can still turn back. It's not too late," more tears froze to her cheeks. "This is wrong."

"Turn back? Are you crazy?" Jack scoffed and stoodup. He marched closer to her until hewas standing just in front of her, looking down. "We're getting out of here. I'm not letting you turn back after all we'vegone through." Rachel trembled underJack's gaze. "Now move." 

She turned slowly, wrapping her arms acrossher chest once more, shivering. But shewalked, step by step. And Jack keptpace, right behind her.