Chapter 61

Cara watched from the ground, feeling the barrel of a gun held against her head, and the guard's knee on her back, as the explosion sent dust and stone shooting up and Abraham flying. The dust cleared, and Cara saw that Daniel's left arm had been freed from the chains on the ground, and with a swift crack onto the stone floor, he shattered the restraint around his claw.

There was blood dripping down the wolf's side, but those wounds were already healing. He brought his claw up to his jaw, tearing at the metal latches drilled in there, and started ripping it free. One of the cultist's near his side dove forward, perhaps with the intent to hold the wolf's arm down. Daniel's claw lashed out and the cultist doubled over as his guts spilled to the floor.

Cara realized the chanting had continued. Not a beat had been missed. The outer crowd may have been in a panic, but those nearest the pool were still going. Another had stepped up and was heading towards Daniel, silver dagger raised. Daniel was back to ripping at the latch, pieces of metal and flesh falling off in bloody chunks. The cultist lunged forward, dagger outstretched, as the werewolf tore the restraints off its mouth. It's mighty jaw closed over the cultist's wrist, tearing half his arm off, sending him moaning as he collapsed.

The werewolf roared its dominance as the next cultist walked forward to do the deed, more hesitant than the last. They would keep coming it seemed, until the wolf had killed them all, and as Cara watched the powerful beast, she thought it just might.

Then the spears struck. A row of guards stationed behind Daniel moved forward, recovering from the explosion. The first spear was plunged through his stomach, and the werewolf's last growl caught in its throat. The next spear came swiftly after into his shoulder, buckling him forward. The third into his free arm, pinning it to the ground. And the last through his lung.

The wolf's yellow eyes were wide as the beast slouched forward as much as the restrains would allow, blood dripping off its lips.

"Daniel!" Cara cried out, an endless hurt crushing through her. The werewolf looked towards her, and across the room she saw it had Daniel's grey eyes once more.

The dagger came so swiftly, she barely saw it. Abraham, bleeding from his head and numerous other places, opened Daniel's throat with his dagger, before stumbling back and collapsing to his knees. Daniel's eyes drifted shut as the head of the wolf slumped forward and the blood rained down from his neck. The red tide dripped onto the stone floor, into the carved lines, and flowed forward, draining into the pool.

Cara was dragged to her knees and shoved down beside Bethany, and all three watched as the pool of blood spun brighter and began to emit a crimson glow that stretched out across the room. The chanting stopped and the room was silent except for a low hum that shook the ground, an ancient being moving the very stones holding the earth together. The explosions had not disturbed the chamber, but now rocks fell from overhead, some crushing the cultists gaping below. There were cries of panic from the outer crowd as the place seemed set to collapse, but those around the pool stayed still and only marvelled at the sight.

Even the spirits of all those that had died in this chamber, which only Cara could see, paused and looked toward the light of the pool. A new horror seemed to dawn on all of them in unison. Those sitting around the pool stood, and those on their feet ran, all of them moving away from this vile glow. The naked spirits disappeared from Cara's view through the crowd. She wondered what would become of them.

And then it all stopped. The last stone fell with a hollow crash that rang through the hall. The pool stopped spinning and the glow became only a soft mist on the surface. The whole of the Imperial Cult held their breath; even Abraham looked on with nervous anticipation. Cara looked once more at the werewolf, at the man she had loved, and a tear fell from her eye. But it was not for him. He was gone and free. For the rest of them the nightmare had truly only begun.

A figure breached the surface of the pool, its head rising out, long hair drenched in blood. The face was beautiful, but terrifying beyond anything Cara had ever seen.

The creature rose up until it stood on the surface of the pool. He lifted his hands and gazed at them, then touched the tips together gently. The blood coating his body ran off with a quick splash into the pool, so that his pale ivory skin could be seen. The hair was just as white and rained down past his hips.

Lucifer smiled with a grin that stretched his face into something twisted and demonic. His gaze settled right on Cara, and she was horrified to see that it was Daniel's eyes staring at her.  

Blood and Beastsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें