Chapter 42

Olivia's POV

Samuel, Nick, and I enter the same hospital I had been admitted to after my accident, and five steps in we already run into a familiar doctor dressed in a blindingly white coat.

"Olivia?" Dr. Kate rushes past the reception desk and stops a step away from us. "Are you hurt? Is it your head again? Your ankle?"

"I'm fine," I assure her, but at the same time take a safe step back. "I'm here to visit someone."

The moment I take a step back Samuel takes a step forward and positions himself so he's standing in front of me. Nick, on the other hand, only glances between Dr. Kate and me with a confused expression.

Dr. Kate rests one of her hands on her side and the other over her heart. "I'm relieved to hear this." She keeps her mouth open as if she's going to continue, but instead she pulls out a small rectangular device from the pocket of her doctor's coat. "Duty calls. As always don't hesitate to come to me if anything happens. Oh, and don't do anything reckless. Okay?"

Without waiting for my answer, she spins around and disappears into the sea of surrounding doctors, nurses, and patients.

"She a family friend?" Nick asks.

"Do you find her behavior too friendly as well?" I turn to him. "I've been thinking that way ever since I first met her. It's like she knows me better than I know her."

"So, you don't know her?"

"No, I do. Just not in a way that it would be normal for her to be so worried about me."

"What's wrong with a doctor worrying about her patient?" Nick cocks his head to the side. "It seems more like a bonus than anything else."

"I just find it a little unsettling." I shrug. "Let's go."

Nick leads us down a surprisingly familiar hallway and I can't stop the smile that sneaks onto my lips. This is, after all, the hallway I hopped down when I first saw Samuel inside my hospital room. I glance at the said Guardian and find him already looking at me. Yet again he takes my breath away with the bright smile that changes his features into an almost different person. How can someone with a smile like his smile so rarely?

"What are you smiling at?" Nick's voice bursts the bubble formed around Samuel and me.

"I'm just remembering the hallway from my stay at the hospital."

"Right, the car accident." Nick nods and two steps later stops in front of a closed-door to our left. "Here we are."

He knocks and then slides the door wide open. While he enters the room, I remain in the open doorway and instead first look around. The hospital room looks just like the one I stayed in. I'm, however, unable to take in a single detail before my eyes land on the middle bed, where a young boy is sitting and smiling at Nick. There's no denying that he's Nick's brother. They share the same light brown hair, although the boy's hair is much tamer, and the same shade of blue eyes.

There is a protective cast reaching from the boy's toes almost up to his knee, which makes it obvious why he's in the hospital. This, however, isn't the reason why I freeze the moment our eyes meet. What has me unable to breathe, let alone move, is the fact that I have seen him before. Despite the blur of my memories, I'm sure that he's the one whose eyes have been hunting me ever since I remembered the reason for the accident.

"Liv?" Nick returns to my side and tugs me a couple of steps into the room. "Charlie, this is Olivia. Olivia, this is my younger brother, Charlie."

"You okay?" Samuel asks from where he stops right beside me.

I'm unable to listen to either of them, though. All I can do is stare back at the pair of curious blue eyes.