Chapter 25

Olivia's POV

"Good morning," I greet Ramona as I enter the café.

I hold the door open for a moment longer and only then close it. As promised, Samuel is right beside me despite it not being his scheduled time with me.

"Morning," Ramona says from where she's standing behind the counter. "What did you do?"

"What?" I stop halfway on my way to the staff room and turn to face her. "What makes you think I did something?"

"The cop's son." Ramona nods in the direction of the front entrance. "He was waiting here this morning. He asked—no, he ordered me to keep an eye on you."

"She has me," Samuel huffs and sits on the opposite side of the counter from Ramona. "She doesn't need anyone else."

"Don't mind Nick." I ignore Samuel and keep my eyes focused on Ramona. "He's just being paranoid."

Without another word, I head to the staff room, where I grab an apron and leave the rest of my belongings. When I come back out both Samuel and Ramona are still on the same spot as before, so I sit onto the stool beside Samuel.

"Do you need any help?" I ask Ramona, who is making sure we have enough coffee and pastries.

"Just stay where you are and answer my questions." Ramona pushes her thick glasses up her nose. "What did you do that has the boy so worried?"

"It's probably because of last night." I prop my elbows on the counter and rest my chin on my hands. "Someone pushed me onto the road, so he must be worried it'll happen again."

"It's not." Samuel shakes his head. "I'm not letting anyone—"

"I don't think that's what he meant," Ramona interrupts Samuel. "He specifically told me not to let you go anywhere near an intersection until he returns."

"As if either of you could stop me," I scoff.

"They might not, but I am." Samuel turns to face me. "You're not going anywhere near there."

"Ugh!" I drop my forehead onto the counter and groan into the wooden top. "Why is everyone being such a pain? Can't you all see that I'm doing my best to recover my missing memories? Instead of trying to stop me, everyone should be cheering me on."

"How exactly are you trying to achieve that?" Ramona asks.

While continuing to keep my face pressed against the counter I explain yesterday's idea to Ramona—how me being on the road at night could trigger my memories.

"You're wrong," Ramona says before I can even close my mouth. "What you did was more than just irresponsible."

"Not you too." I groan and lift my head back up. "Why is everyone conveniently forgetting that it worked? I remembered something about the accident."

"At what price?" Samuel asks, drawing my eyes over to him. He is leaning against the stool's back, with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "You could've been hurt or even killed if Wright hadn't stopped in time. Getting your memories back is not worth such danger."

"There's no need for you to do this." Ramona draws my eyes back over to her. "Your memories will return when you're ready and not a moment sooner."

"You're wrong. Both memories returned when I either hurt myself or was near the intersection, and not when I was 'ready' for them."

"How can you be sure?"

I stop at Ramona's words, wondering what she could be aiming at? What else could be responsible for the return of both of those memories?