Chapter Nineteen: Realization

Start from the beginning

A small noise of cracking twigs filled the air, triggering my hands to fly to the handle of my blades as I twisted and thrusted the serrated edge in the direction of the sound.

Don't tell me that he's found me again so quickly.... 

The blade stopped short, the tip slightly brazing the protruding familiar jawline of my Captain who never flinched in the slightest.

"If you think I'm going to stand here and let you train with that busted shoulder of yours, you're a bigger idiot than I originally thought." Levi's stern tone declared, a small echo following his words. He held his chin stiff and in an upwards motion, his solemn gaze never leaving my eyes as he watched the deep rise and fall in my chest.

I swear this man will be the death of me....

Dropping the sword, I quickly tried to conceal the fear previously written on my face as I slid my blade back in it's rightful position. I shuffled slightly backwards, crossing my arms over my chest and biting at my lower lip in frustration.

"Why did you follow me?" the question came out bitchier than I expected, but after the emotional rollercoaster this week, I wasn't willing to let my guard down easily.

"You forget you're my responsibility, brat. Do you even realize how many rules you break on a daily basis? You're such a nuisance. " He replied, along with a small "tsk."

"So, you're telling me you came all the way out here, in the middle of the night, to drag my ass back to the base just because I'm your problem?"  I scoffed, uncrossing my arms and rolling my eyes slightly.

He never responded, just continued to gaze at me with the same bored, irritated expression.

"Well, if you're not going to answer me then I'm going to continue what I was doing before you interrupted me..." I spat with annoyance, while fumbling with my gear. I needed to clear my head, he only provided to become a bigger distraction.

A soft grip landed on the bare skin of my wrist, cupping it slightly in order to gain my full attention. My eyelashes fluttered upwards, as I fought to meet his gaze again. The once bored expression had now melted into concern, a small tinge of black circles of exhaustion clouded beneath the gray silver hues. I could feel butterflies emerging in the depths of my chest. Even the smallest touch from him set my skin on fire, leaving me only to crave more.

How could one single man, (the only man at that), make me experience a million different emotions with one touch or one gaze?

"Is he the one who gave you those scars?" He questioned, a small twitch forming in his jaw as he clung to my wrist.

"What do you mea....?" I questioned with the most humbled confusion, as my eyebrows furrowed together in bewilderment.

Then it hit me. The bandages. My back was openly exposed to him, and I had been too distracted to notice. 

Even if you disregarded the severe bruising and stitches on my shoulder, the thin white scars scattered across various portions of my back, left from my fathers whip were permanently engraved into my honey colored skin.