"You are not meeting that friend of yours today.", he said matter-of-factly, still not meeting her gaze.

Lynn let out a mirthless laugh.

"Very funny, yeah... Of course I'll meet her, Jeremiah.", she retorted.

This time he raised his head and locked eyes with her.

"I don't take kindly to having to repeat myself, Lynn. You are not going and that's it."

For a few seconds all Lynn could do was stare at him, completely speechless.

Then her free will made its presence felt, and she let out a low growl.

"Who are you to decide that?"

Jeremiah blinked. He positively looked like he hadn't expected her to disagree with him.

"Who I am?", he hissed, abandoning his huge study desk to slowly approach her, like a predator coming for its unsuspecting prey.

"Who I am? I'm your boyfriend. The one that looks after you and provides for you!", he snarled.

Lynn was having none of it. He could shove his attitude right up his arse for all she cared.

"The 18th century called.", she sneered. "It wants its patriarchic, chauvinistic nonsense back!"

Jeremiah stopped dead in his tracks. Narrowing his eyes, he bared his teeth. His face contorted with anger.

"Watch your tongue, love.", he warned with a growl.

"I refuse to be insulted, Lynn."

If she hadn't been so fed up with the way he'd just treated her, she would have become scared the moment he continued to approach her. He was absolutely livid.

But Lynn was to busy focusing on being stubborn to notice his growing anger.

"And I refuse to be treated like I'm your prisoner or worse slave! You can't deny me meeting my friends!"

With a dart he'd grasped her shoulders in a bruising grip, violently shaking her. Finally, very aware of his alarming fury, Lynn let out a terrified scream.

"Don't you get it?", he barked over her sounds of fear.

"I'm already having a hard time with letting you go to university each morning, albeit it's quite a safe environment. But you can't just go and spend hours on the streets while Jerome's followers are still around! Damn it, Lynn! If he told even one of them about me, and if that one person saw the gala broadcast they would easily put one and one together. What if they kidnap you while you are walking through Gotham's already crime-ridden streets, what if they tortured you to get me for some sick sacrifice to their prophet? What if they killed you? God, I would never forgive myself if you died because of me!"

Everything fell into place as his words left his mouth, and Lynn felt her fear and anger abate at once.

He hadn't tried to dominate her. He'd been worried sick about her safety, about her life.

Lost for words she just stared into his pleading eyes.

"Look, I would love to let you go, but for now I can't guarantee your safety. Why do you think I make Ecco accompany you every time you visit your parents? I'm always afraid something might happen to you.", he sighed.

Ecco... Of course... She could be her way out!

"I can understand your worries, Jeremiah. I do. But... I miss my friends. I haven't seen Harriet in ages. I know it's much to ask for, but what if you ordered Ecco to accompany us? We would be safe with her."